Skywatcher 80ED Pro v Skywatcher 130pds

GrampyG

I'd say both are very good, but I'm assuming you'll capture more light with the newtonian.

The APO is easier to carry (probably weighs a max of 2 kg, while the 130PDS weighs 4-5 kg) and doesn't require collimation and it's easier to maintain.

So if you're planning on doing astrophotography in your backyard or somewhere close from home, go with the 130PDS or even the 150PDS (for a bigger aperture).

But if you're living in the middle of a city (Bortle 7-8) and have to drive a couple of hours to go to a Bortle 2-3 place, then the 80ED will be better (even though it is a bit more expensive). 

Having owned both (well, I still own a 130PDS), the 130PDS is much faster, if you use a SW 0.9x CC much much faster - F4.5 vs F6.37! 😮

The 80ED weighs 4.1kg with tube rings vs 4kg for a 130PDS.

They are both excellent scopes, the 130P-DS is phenomenal value but trickier to use to begin with, and its trickier to balance on the mount as all the mass is at the focuser end the mirror doesn't provide anywhere near enough counterbalance.

So the real differentiators are the price and the great divider of astrophotographers - do you like diffraction spikes or not? ;)

• Like 1

Ive used both and both are great and very good for astrophotography. The 80 is not easy to balance, very camera heavy (depending on camera of course) so you will need a counter weight or longer dovetail, i found the 130pds easy to balance with a DSLR. Pleased with the results of both scopes. The 80 is easier to deal with in regards to not having to mess around with collocation, more practical size aswell. As said above, in regards to diffraction spikes on the 130pds, I liked them, some dont and refractors dont produce them. I now only use the 80mm as sold my 130pds, I also have the 72mm ED DS pro, another great little scope. I wouldn't worry to much on how much faster the 130 is, if your keen on astrophotography then I'm sure you will be going onto guiding etc at some point so longer subs achieved which will get you the detail you wont anyway.

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 1