NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Why do you mod a camera

Hi Phil, a standard DSLR camera's sensor is very sensitive to Infra Red (IR) which will cause problems with normal photography so the manufacturers install IR filters to stop the IR. Unfortunately, the standard IR filters are a little too wide in their operation and the cut off extends into the red portion of the light spectrum and in particular, attenuates the valuable light from emission nebulae - Hydrogen Alpha light. Modifying your DSLR either removes the filter full stop or removes and replaces it with a narrower band IR filter that attenuates the IR but lets up to 95% of the Ha to pass through making it considerably easier to capture images of emission nebulae.

The modification can be done by the BRAVE user or there are a couple of companies that will do the work for you.

It depends on which mod you do... if the "stock" filter is removed and replaced then its possible to use it for daytime use as well.. if the filter is just removed you will need to take care of UV/IR filtering externally... this is how i do it as the LP filters I use also have UV/IR cut in them. The downside of this method is you loose AF not an issue for astro use but a PITA for normal use.

There are a lot of Canon 2nd hand 300/350/400D's out there all of which make excellent astro cams the higher the number the better the 350D is a sweetspot price performance wise...

The new 1000D though looks very interesting.

I have quite a collection of DSLR's :)

Billy...

Archived