Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

QHY 183 Color and WO Redcat 51

SSG Caldwell

Hello All

I have been involved in AP for about 3 years. During that time, I have used DSLRs exclusively, mostly for wide field imaging. Recently I ordered and received a QHY183 Color camera. Thing is I have no idea how to connect it to my WO Redcat 51.I had originally believed it would be intuitively obvious but it’s not at least to me.  I did read the manual and the adapter document from QHY but was more confused by them than helped. However, from what I did understand I believe the back focus is18mm +- 0.5mm. I was hoping that someone with this particular combination of a WO Redcat and QHY183 could share with me what adapter(s) I need to connect them (product links would be helpful). Thanks for any help.   Bill

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Phillyo said:

I could be wrong (it's been known) but I think all you need is an M48 to T2 adapter to connect directly to your camera?

Yes, exact spacing is not important with a flat field APO like the Redcat, you just need to make sure that the camera is sufficiently far back to be able to make focus. So given a DSLR makes forus with its 55mm backspacing I would think that a T48 to T2 adaptor and something like a 30mm T2 spacer will put you into about the right place. But depending on the Redcat's back focus you may not even need a spacer. If you purchased the Redcat from a good supplier they should be happy to help you. 

So:  55mm  - 18mm (camera) - 6.5mm (typical t48 to T2) = 30mm (T2 extender)

Cant link you to anything as I am not familiar with suppliers in the USA. 

Adam

Edited by Adam J