NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First light with astromodified DSLR

smr

Hey guys, 

Thought I'd share my first light with my first astromodified DSLR. I bought a second hand 600D a couple of months ago and took a couple of hours worth of data on the Heart Nebula at the beginning of August. We had two clear nights in the whole of August, where I was anyway, which was on Holiday for the first part.

Last week we had a clear night and I managed to get a further 4 hours. So here's my first image, from stepping into astromodified Cameras. It's also my first image with a dual narrowband filter, the Optolong L-eNhance. 

The main thing I've noticed, after spending the first two/three years taking astronomy photos with my unmodified 80D, is that a modified DSLR really does make a big difference. I don't think I would have been able to gather as much Ha with my 80D.

6 hours of 5 minute subs.

Heart-Nebula-6h2m-73-Lights.thumb.jpg.638b0bcb79c81ec0121d4a066b16a917.jpg

I've also just uploaded a video on plate solving in the field, featuring this image: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoIy1D2pBZ0

• Like 14

Nice image, I bet you're pleased with that as your first one with the astromod DSLR! :D

I've been thinking about my next purchase and whether it should be an astromod DSLR or save a bit more and go for a dedicated colour camera like one of the ZWO ASI cameras. 

Which mod does your 600D have, has it just had the standard filter removed or has it been replaced with something like the Baader BFC?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

Nice image, I bet you're pleased with that as your first one with the astromod DSLR! :D

I've been thinking about my next purchase and whether it should be an astromod DSLR or save a bit more and go for a dedicated colour camera like one of the ZWO ASI cameras. 

Which mod does your 600D have, has it just had the standard filter removed or has it been replaced with something like the Baader BFC?

Thanks, yes I am happy with it. The Camera has just the standard IR filter removed. I should have bought an astromodified DSLR ages ago really. Although I have been happy with some of the results from my 80D and will continue to use that on some targets, for targets like this one though, the Ha just gets gathered so much faster with a modified DSLR. 

As for dedicated Cameras I'll probably make the leap before too long, I have procrastinated about buying one almost as long as I did a modified DSLR. I'd love a 2600MC Pro. There's a mono version of the QHY version coming out next month I think though, so I might go for Mono APS-C, if not then it'll be a 2600 or 268C.

• Like 1

The 2600MC would be great, but I'd be in sooo much trouble with herself for paying that for a  camera at this stage. I've been given the green light for a slide off roof obsy, so don't want to push my luck! 😆

It think, for now, it'll be the astromod DSLR as it will give me more than the unmodded 2000D I'm currently using.

• Like 1