NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars - 5th Sep

Astrokev

I suspect we're all going to get a bit fed-up with Mars images over the coming days and weeks 🤣  but, for what it's worth, here's my effort from the other morning through my C11 at prime focus. I did take some images with a x2 Barlow but didn't really improve image quality.

Nowhere near as good as many images but I was quite pleased with it. Loads to improve on though!

I find focussing the biggest challenge. Any suggestions to help improve this would be warmly appreciated! I ought also to check the collimation, which may help.

Kev

ASICAP_2020-09-05_04_07_49_415_AS_P7_lapl4_ap32_Resample20 -Rsun2 -PS -labelled.jpg

• Like 11

Nice image and well presented. Yes checking the collimation is a must!

Focusing can be a real challenge, especially when the seeing is naff.  I'd recommend shooting red or IR first, as they will be sharpest and easiest to focus, and when you change to the other filters you will be almost there, just a dab one way or the other, or if you've good good filters they may be exactly parfocal? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Nice image and well presented. Yes checking the collimation is a must!

Focusing can be a real challenge, especially when the seeing is naff.  I'd recommend shooting red or IR first, as they will be sharpest and easiest to focus, and when you change to the other filters you will be almost there, just a dab one way or the other, or if you've good good filters they may be exactly parfocal? 

Thanks Craig. I'm not currently using filters, that feels like the advanced course in AP, which I'm not sure I'm ready for yet!

Actually, saying that, I do use a Baader IR pass filter occasionally (this image didn't use it). Doesn't seem to offer a lot, other than to kill my frame rate!, but I'm guessing this may be partly seeing dependant.