NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Between a rock and a hard place :(

Adreneline

In 2013 I purchased a 13" MacBook Pro primarily to use for general photography. I also purchased a copy of Photoshop CS6 Extended Edition. In 2016 I purchased PixInsight when I embarked upon my astrophotography hobby. My MacBook currently runs OS 10.13.

I was going to update to 10.14 Catalina at the end of last year but when I started the installation it advised me that PS CS6 was no longer supported and would "be removed" before the installation continued. Big sigh and decided to stick with 10.13. At the same time I also discovered that Adobe would no longer be supporting CS6 so no more updates to CameraRAW for me! Oh well I'll just have to stick with Canon DPP when using my new Canon M6 MkII.

The latest release of PixInsight will not run on OS 10.13 - it requires 10.14 or 10.15 due to changes to LibRaw and TensorFlow - whatever they are exactly.

I also run a cheap, refurbished Lenovo i5 Windows 10 laptop on which I have also installed CS6 (no Adobe updates but at least it runs and with Compatibility Mode will do so for some time to come even if Windows 11/12/whatever becomes a necessary/desireable update). The new PI installed with several error messages and would not run Starnet as a Process. Surprisingly the new PI installed perfectly on my old i3 Intel NUC.

My MacBook is getting a bit long in the tooth but it does benefit from an exceptional display - far better than the Lenovo. It overheats a lot running graphic heavy applications (or even viewing graphic heavy web pages). When the day comes that I replace it I can can have PI but not PS (which I paid good money for back in 2013).

It just doesn't seem right to me.

Adrian

Edited by Adreneline
Clarification

Progress is wonderful, but happens so quickly with all these digital devices that it doesn't take long to be left out of date! I have only just taken the plunge and upgraded my MacBook to Catalina and find that one of my scanners is no longer supported... doh!

You should try updating your Mac to MacOS Mojave, which is OS 10.14. All your 32 bit apps will still work with that. Catalina is 10.15 and does require 64 bit apps, so avoid that until you are ready! Here's a link to find Mojave: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT210190 - scroll down to the download section and the app store link is there.

Good luck.

4 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

You should try updating your Mac to MacOS Mojave, which is OS 10.14.

Apologies Gav - I meant Mojave and not Catalina. I tried Mojave and it offered to delete PS - that's why I'm still on High Sierra.

I understand software and hardware progress and develop and we all benefit from that, but Mac OS seems particularly frustrating in this respect. I've had to give up on hundreds of pounds of Firewire audio equipment in the past because updates to MacOS were not supported by hardware drivers so stuff just stopped working! USB 3.0 put the kiss of death on Firewire.

Adrian