NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Adding Blue to Triffid

I'm reasonably happy  with the detail  on the Triffid , I  like the textured  look but  since the  image is Ha, OIII and UV there is not much reflection nebula so  I  took  a normal Blue  filtered image.

Is  it possible  to easily add the Blue layer minus stars to the  narrowband image?

There are 2 images 1 from  PI, the  other from PS by the way

I want to retain the Herbig-Haro jet  but reduce the blue halo on some stars if possible

feel  free to play I'm at a loss as  to what direction to go in

FinalView.tif Blue2.tif FinalViewPS.tif

FinalViewPS.png

Edited by billhinge

This is another version, Ha=L, SII=red, OIII=green, Blue=Blue

Part   of the problem I think is that I have SII, Ha, OIII, UV and  Blue and I'm  not sure what the best mix is?

Ideally I  would get the blue nebula minus stars from the  last image and add it to the first

FinalView2.png

The data looks good, next step is to remove the green, any gradients and noise, then tweak the colours etc.

I would stick to working in PI to start with. Then if you need to, final tweaks in PS.

I would do:

1. SCNR

2. DBE (sometimes if the data is really good you may not need to do this, see if it gives a better or worse result)

3. Create Mask for stars and nebula, add together with Pixelmath to mask the stars and nebula then de-noise the background.

4. Use a star mask to reduce the stars a little if necessary. (Don't thing you'll need to but worth trying)

5. Use the nebula mask to smooth, de-noise or sharpen the nebula.

6. Run the Dark Nebulosity script (works very well)

7. Final curves tweaks for colour/ saturation etc.

With any stretching be careful not to clip the black or white points, clipping the black too much will result in the loss of the finer details.

Thanks  Mark

By dark nebulosity do you mean dark structure enhance? I do use that sometime with default values

When you say nebula mask, I assume you are talking generally about a PI mask rather than a 3rd party script download of that name (I'm using latest 1.8.8.6)

Thanks for the clipping tip

Yes Dart Structure Enhance.

Yes a PI Range Mask or use a clone and Starnet to remove stars then use that as a mask.

Once you've run SCNR you should have a Red/Blue colour nebula. If the stars are a bit magenta then invert the image and run SCNR on Green again, re-invert and it will remove magenta.

Your plan to de-star the blue then add it to the image is potentially sound but I'd do it in Photoshop. Also I would only add it to an HaOIIIOIII which had been processed to replicate natural colour in RGB (though there wont be much blue yet.) I don't think there is any sane way to mix false colour and natural blue so I'd start with HOO, as I say.

I'd then de-star the blue and stretch it so that the background sky was a point lower than the background in the NB image. That way it won't slew the sky colour. I'd then add it to the blue channel in Blend Mode Lighten.

I don't know if it would work but at least it's logical.

Olly

Thanks Olly, I'll give that a go later. I  just discovered starnet so having a play with that and pixelmath at the moment 😉

(I'm into the whole python, deep-learning AI subject)

Edited by billhinge

I  kind of got the shape I wanted but not sure about the colour 😁

This is a  mix of reflected blue from OIII and UV, the central pink Ha is also high in UV (Astrodon UV photometric), I wanted to map out UV  areas  so part pretty pic, part scientific

SSView.png

UV.jpg

4873156_orig.jpg