Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

eyepieces

Just bought the Orion 10 inch dob , I have now a small budget left for decent eye pieces can any give me any tips of what eyepieces to buy that will work well with this scope 2 maybe 3 eyepieces and roughly 70 quid on each or a little mor if i dont need 3 thanks ifrom phil bod I await the expert advice

Edited by phil bod
  • Like 1

I’m a long term owner of a 10” Dob.  Maybe use the stock eyepieces for a while, a few sessions with those will give you a chance to get to know the scope.

Well recommended are BST Starguiders.    I’ve not tried them myself but there’s many good reports.

A nice set of 3 eyepieces for low medium and high power would give great viewing.

Suggestion - low power 40-60x, medium power 100-130x, high power 180-220x.  Not set in concrete of course, perhaps see what others have to say.  Eyepiece choice is a huge subject.....

Ed.

• Like 1

For £47 each you can’t really go wrong with BST starguiders. FLO offer a discount when you order two or more. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bst-starguider-eyepieces.html They have a 60 degree field of view which is certainly wider than the typical 50 degrees associated with standard plossl eyepieces. For a 10” dob I would recommend the 25mm, 12mm and 8mm to begin with.

Not all eyepieces are created equal and spending more isn’t always about improved sharpness, contrast and transmission. The amount of eye relief and achieving wider fields of view are very much factors influencing the design and ultimate price of modern day eyepieces.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NGC 1502 said:

I’m a long term owner of a 10” Dob.  Maybe use the stock eyepieces for a while, a few sessions with those will give you a chance to get to know the scope.

Well recommended are BST Starguiders.    I’ve not tried them myself but there’s many good reports.

A nice set of 3 eyepieces for low medium and high power would give great viewing.

Suggestion - low power 40-60x, medium power 100-130x, high power 180-220x.  Not set in concrete of course, perhaps see what others have to say.  Eyepiece choice is a huge subject.....

Ed.

I think we must have, unknowingly, been playing a game of ‘snap’, Ed. 😀

6 minutes ago, NGC 1502 said:

Ed.

5 minutes ago, Rob_UK_SE said:

For £47 each you can’t really go wrong with BST starguiders. FLO offer a discount when you order two or more. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bst-starguider-eyepieces.html They have a 60 degree field of view which is certainly wider than the typical 50 degrees associated with standard plossl eyepieces. For a 10” dob I would recommend the 25mm, 12mm and 8mm to begin with.

Not all eyepieces are created equal and spending more isn’t always about improved sharpness, contrast and transmission. The amount of eye relief and achieving wider fields of view are very much factors influencing the design and ultimate price of modern day eyepieces.

Thanks guys  I do have a few eyepieces from my Tal scopes which are always good I recently purchase a Burgess optical Planetary zoom eyepiece SWA-58-6 WA plossl 6mm eyepiece... and also a Orion E- series zoom eyepiece 7-21mm zoom...wont know how well these will work in the Dob until we get rid of this cloud we seem to be plagued with..got the usual lens from my celestron scope that came with the 70mm refractor also i got a RK 20mm< this was given to me appears to be decent..so a reasonable bundle of eye pieces  if you add in the original tal ones too..o i really need fork out any more money. I  will look at the flo optics you mentioned but will only buy if i really need  to replace the ones i already have ..thanks for your relies gents...phil bod