NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Evoguide 50ED as finder for Skymax 127

So my grab and go setup is currently a Skymax 127 on an az4 mount. I've been toying with the idea of using an evoguide 50ED as a finder/wide field scope to compliment the high power views the mak provides. Would just be nice to have the best of both worlds when I need to pop out for a quick look. Im just wondering if anyone has a similar setup for visual use? Would love to hear your thoughts. 

Just now, johninderby said:

The potential problem with the Evoguide 50 as a finder is that it can only be used as a straight through finder. Wont focus with a diagonal.

That is kinda anoying, however I've never used a right angle finder so I'm used to straight through. Something I am wondering about is if it will be mounted safely with the finder shoe on the mak, as the scope is tilted at a weird angle due to the dovetail positioning. It will be on the bottom right of the scope. 

The angle the finder is monuted at won’t be a problem as far as being secure although can be in an awkward position to use.

One solution is to use tube rings so you can rotate the tube. Orion USA do tube rings that will fit but take a bit of searching for in the UK  “144mm ID Orion Telescope Tube Rings”

Here’s my Bresser mak with tube rings.

A2D4FD0E-D8D1-436A-9441-44AEE0D56F97.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

23 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The angle the finder is monuted at won’t be a problem as far as being secure although can be in an awkward position to use.

One solution is to use tube rings so you can rotate the tube. Orion USA do tube rings that will fit but take a bit of searching for in the UK  “144mm ID Orion Telescope Tube Rings”

Here’s my Bresser mak with tube rings.

A2D4FD0E-D8D1-436A-9441-44AEE0D56F97.jpeg

Yeah that is something certainly worth considering 🤔