Which counterweights would be enough for me?

msacco

Hey, I'm imaging with Celestron C8 Edge HD on an iOptron CEM70 mount, since this mount is as smooth as butter, I now also need to balance my third axises, for the RA axis I've purchased a ready solution from aliexpress so it's not expensive.

I still have 2 more things I need to take care of, the first is the DEC 3rd axis and the second is actual DEC balance, since in full focal length the scope is extremely back heavy and I just can't get it to balance at all even at the most front point, so I need a counterweight for that as well.
The ready solutions for these 2 are very expensive for me(especially because of shipping), so I thought of just getting counterweights and take care of the rest myself, I could get the matching bolts/rods and 3D print the losmandy dovetail clamp.

The only question now is what counterweights should I get. I could either get 0.5KG, 0.8KG, 1KG or 1.5KG.
The thing is, especially for the DEC 3rd axis too much weight might be too much, so that's what worries me here.

I only have a guiding scope + guiding camera for the DEC 3rd axis, so there's not much weight that needs to be balanced, most of the advertised such products seems to be using 1KG though. That seems a bit too much for me, but idk...Maybe I'm missing something.
Is there anyone who could share some ideas on which counterweight should roughly match my needs?

My gear:
ZWO ASI071MC pro(weights 640g)
SVBONY 60mm guidescope(weights 789.250724g)
ZWO ASI224MC pro(weight 100g)

My backfocus at full focal length for example is 133.35mm, so that puts the ASI071 quite far and very back heavy.

Also, for the DEC 3rd axis, I could probably put the weight near or far from the center, so I'd say that a small counterweight could probably be accounted for "more weight" if that makes sense.

Thanks for the help and suggestions :)

IMO this is impossible to guess.

Get some 400g, 200g, and 100g cans from the larder, put them in a bag, and hook them onto the front of the OTA.

Add or subtract until you get balance.

Then weigh the package on your kitchen scales.

Michael

13 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

IMO this is impossible to guess.

Get some 400g, 200g, and 100g cans from the larder, put them in a bag, and hook them onto the front of the OTA.

Add or subtract until you get balance.

Then weigh the package on your kitchen scales.

Michael

Thanks for the comment, I think you're always the first one to reply to me ^^

I did saw this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32812542281.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.71911bf6PIJIqP&algo_pvid=35ee2d49-6578-46ab-af17-619baf642094&algo_expid=35ee2d49-6578-46ab-af17-619baf642094-9&btsid=0ab50f0815983511784426269e6228&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

I could get 4 pieces of 100g for a rather fine price.

The thing that really confuses me though, here are the 2 products I'm trying to replicate:
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-counterweight-kits/adm-dovetail-counterweight-kit-d-series.html
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-counterweight-kits/adm-dovetail-side-mounting-counterweight-kit-d-series.html

Both of them comes with a 3.5lb (1.5KG) weights. That sounds A LOT. If I were to get it would that just be too much weight? It really confuses me.

3 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Could you bolt it onto the dovetail once you found out what weight you need, nuts and bolts are relatively cheap, poss a wingnut for  speed of assemble/ disassemble 

I could bolt it onto the dovetail, but I'd prefer using a losmandy clamp so I'll have more flexibility. The C8 has various configurations(Full focal length, reducer, and hyperstar which is probably not an issue), so the flexibility is something I'd like to keep.

Do you have any suggestions regarding the weights I should get though?

18 hours ago, msacco said:

I could bolt it onto the dovetail, but I'd prefer using a losmandy clamp so I'll have more flexibility. The C8 has various configurations(Full focal length, reducer, and hyperstar which is probably not an issue), so the flexibility is something I'd like to keep.

Do you have any suggestions regarding the weights I should get though?

I've only had a situation where I needed to use a adm one and I rectified it when I got my cem 60, DEC axis balanced when I removed the finder,  RA balanced with a 12mm bolt, some washers and a borrowed socket sticking out of the counterweight bar.. 

31 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

I've only had a situation where I needed to use a adm one and I rectified it when I got my cem 60, DEC axis balanced when I removed the finder,  RA balanced with a 12mm bolt, some washers and a borrowed socket sticking out of the counterweight bar.. 

For the RA 3rd axis I've purchased the following solution from aliexpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000126672182.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.40724c4dLwA0qY

I'm thinking of getting the ADM one but I just want to end up buying it and then realizing that the counterweight is too heavy. I think I only have my guidescope and guide camera that needs to be counterweighted.

1 minute ago, newbie alert said:

That looks pretty good but to my mind only good for your RA.. hasn't the counter weight got a 12mm thread in it on the 70?

Yeah of course that's only for the RA, the CEM70 seems to have the same thread as the CEM60:
image.png.ac6607dbc63552aa2d270d8b1ab8ffd6.png