Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader solar continuum filter

Franklin

Can be used with a wedge or a regular solar film filter. It helps bring out a bit more detail. Enough to notice but not a big difference and it’s really for those wanting to get every last bit of detail they can. 

A green filter as well as a light blue or light yellow can help a tiny bit but not as good as the continuum filter which is a bandpass filter and just happens to make the sun look green. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Franklin said:

I've read that this filter is to be used with a solar wedge. Can it be used with a full aperture solar filter and will it make much difference? Would it be any different to using a dark green filter such as #58?

As John wrote, it can be used with wedge or solar filter. When I am observing the Sun, the heating air causes turbulent views. Baader Continuum somehow reduces the shakiness and makes me  see more steady detail. Some of my colleagues are even using it for Moon observations to fight poor seeing. Green Moon, that's something :D 

Attached Sun pictures are shot with a smartphone through Baader and a 10-inch telescope, post-processed to turn green into yellow or so. The last one  shows Mercury transit.

EF14131E-6698-4E42-8024-BCB2D7E28FA8.jpeg

490F0205-2A91-48DC-91BB-F419BD692782.jpeg

E6150FE4-0639-4F1C-AE44-41332CB72C30.jpeg

90C88032-90BD-4414-B153-A40A1F25D1FA.jpeg

Edited by Woj2007
  • Like 2