Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Suitable setup (help)

lee g

I have an 8”sct on alt azimuth mount. I don’t plan to change my mount what is the best type of imaging to do with this setup?  Is planetary imaging the same as eaa? This may sound silly but I can’t seem to find a clear path through all the information that’s available.  Currently I use a philips spc900nc webcam to occasionally image the moon, is this considered eaa?

what would be my best camera setup without having to worry about upgrading for the foreseeable future.

Thanks 

Hi there. Until a month or so ago, I had  been using my C1100 SCT in just a alt Az set up. I know you don't see many reviews or people using them but I bought a BresserCPCMOS02000KPA deep sky camera. These are just a couple  of the images I took earlier this year with just Alt Az so capturing DS images is possible with just the alt az mounting. most the time I keep the image captures down to 17 seconds and capture about 60 images. I found a near new second hand wedge so I have changed how I capture images but you can do it for DS as well as plantary.

wp_ss_20200123_0002.png

orion nebula-190908034705 1_edited.jpg

moon1-200204205840a (2)_edited.jpg

• Like 1

Hi, have a look at this thread as members aren't using EQ mounts but working within the capabilities of their tracking altaz mount

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/228101-the-no-eq-dso-challenge/

You may find picking up a second hand DSLR like a canon a cheap option.

Under resources on this website you can check any combination of your telescope and camera to see how a deep space object might fit.

• Thanks 1

I would read more before spending to ensure you match your aims to what you might get and how you might use your mount and might use on it. Enjoy looking into it and then there's the EEA section as well. I guess a simplistic difference is one approach is to take loads of separate images of DSO and stack them and process, and them there is EEA which takes the images on the fly to stack them, but I am not familiar with EEA.

• Thanks 1