Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Small "folding-leg" ROR Observatory Shed?

BinocularSky

There is limited space for an observatory in the garden, not least because we do like trees. Best location is the "lawn" (hah ha) between the paved area and the concrete patio.My idea is to make a small remote observatory, but the main problem I'm facing is the roof.

The minimum size for the observatory is (interior measurements) 140 (h) x 160 (l) x 160 (w) cm, which leaves a few inches clearance all round (I've mocked it up with a bamboo frame -- see image --  and yes, my calculations are correct 🙂  ). It needs to be very close to the boundary fence, so no room for a balanced fold-off roof in that direction. Ideally, it will be off-grid, run off a substantial LiFePO4 pack charged by a solar panel mounted on the obsy roof - hence a roll-off pent roof seems to be simplest. Fence runs EW on N side of property, so solar panel would naturally be on an S-facing pent roof. The natural direction for the roll-off would be east, towards the house, but the rails would run into the BBQ/seating area (the shrubs and  fruit bushes in the image will be transplanted), so I need some species of non-permanently placed rails.

I've seen on here some fold-up rails, but the wall height of mine is less than the wall length...

Best solution I've seen so far is Tony Rodda's gate-leg (here) - except mine would be horizontal, not sloped.

Is there another possible solution that I'm ignoring, and are there any caveats with the gate-leg idea?

If the entire roof mech could be remotely controlled, that would be a bonus!

Overall, I'm thinking of adapting the build on the Blackwater Skies site - again, any caveats?

image.png.dc1f77bd454e6b1606058b9aacb9b8ce.png

Edited by BinocularSky
typos

How about  a ROROO (Roll On Roll Off Observatory)- a small shed on wheels that rolls off to expose your whole rig. This can be smaller as you don't need space inside.

Here is a link to a fellow SGL'rs Tardis Observatory-

Edited by Swoop1
Spelling

On 12/08/2020 at 13:27, Swoop1 said:

How about  a ROROO (Roll On Roll Off Observatory)- a small shed on wheels that rolls off to expose your whole rig

In principle, nice. In practice, it will remove moving braais and seating every time I use the observatory. I need something that "flies" above the established occupants of the roll-off space.

Edited by BinocularSky