Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing in North Cornwall 8-8-20

AstroNebulee

After 2 days of mist and fog here in Delabole, North Cornwall, whilst the rest of the county and country had been enjoying full sunshine, the mist and fog rolled away around 9.30pm and gave me a couple of hours to try and catch the Perseids and do a little stargazing.  The view towards the north and east isn't great at my spot as there's a road and streetlights, the east to south is much better for me.  So last night I set up my skymax 127, smartphone and tripod with my binos to get a glimpse of anything as its been a long time since the last clear night.  I searched for the double star Almach in Andromeda and found her through my skymax, swapping the 20mm ep for my svbony 105 webcam to get a few captures, which a couple succeeded in satisfactory (well to me anyway) the sky was a bit soupy and turbulent but after stacking and processing  turned out passable and just about managed the split.  I then moved to my binos and got the Andromeda galaxy in my view but just couldn't get my scope lined up properly with it as the low fov even with a 32mm ep, I know the skymax isn't great for dso's but wanted to give it a go.  I should of put my skywatcher explorer 150p on the mount but didnt want the faff of moving it all again but there will be other times to capture it.  Meanwhile the smartphone on tripod I was taking 16 second exposures at 400 iso in the night photo setting of my phone, (though some captures i used the star trail setting as in the attached photo) in the hope of catching a Perseid meteor, I know the peak isn't until 12-13th but wanted to see if any where there and may of got one but seemed in the wrong place and not in between Cassiopea and Andromeda, but I'll attach for you to see. The sky started to get more soupy with the mist starting to drop in, so was starting to pack away now.  The moon was beginning to wash things out a bit as well but lovely to see Mars in close conjunction with it rising in the East.  So in short a good few hours of viewing to get a good fix of astronomy after so long.  It's not looking good here for the peak of the meteor showers but will give it a go as CO & MO have been a bit far off the mark recently.  Sorry if the report rambles and repeats but my first attempt

Almach-8-8-20.jpg

Perseids-Cropped-copy.jpg

Edited by LeeHore7
  • Like 2