First play with the Optolong L-Extreme Filter

Snoani

I decided to purchase an Optolong L-Extreme 2" filter last weekend and with a clear sky and 94% moon on Thursday I decided to give it a test drive by pointing my scope towards the Veil Nebula.  

This image is 125 minutes (25 x 5 mins) calibrated with 15 darks, flats and bias frames.  Captured using a Meade 6000 80mm APO, Stellamira 0.80x reducer, Canon 1300D (modified), HEQ5 and guided using a  ZWO 120mm attached to a ZWO 30F4 guidescope. 

It has been very hot and so the image is noisy, which is a pitfall for the DSLR in this weather.  I also have oblong stars in the corners, which I think may be due to the reducer.  It is also the first time I have used this.  

Considering the brightness of the moon on Thursday, I am really pleased with the amount of detail that I have been able to collect due to the filter. 

I look forward to what I can achieve on a cooler night and with some more exposures and happy that I have an option for imaging when the moon is up.

695076140_CygnusLoop.thumb.jpg.927ebb36ef7aa871f78855ec35021007.jpg

• Like 4

nice result. you got some good details in it.

for your stars if you are using a reducer : experiment with a bit more spacing or less and look upon the result. had the same with mine and after some fidling with a mm extra, less,.. i came to nice stars acros the image (must still post it) 

Dslr's have indeed a hard time these days with night of 20+ °C . that is why i am happy i bought a cooled CMOS

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Very nice. I have only just become aware of this filter. I am wondering whether they do a version to fit my Canon 450D.  

Thank you.  I haven't seen a clip filter just yet, but I would be surprised if they didn't release one in the near future.  

2 hours ago, Starfisher said:

nice result. you got some good details in it.

for your stars if you are using a reducer : experiment with a bit more spacing or less and look upon the result. had the same with mine and after some fidling with a mm extra, less,.. i came to nice stars acros the image (must still post it) 

Dslr's have indeed a hard time these days with night of 20+ °C . that is why i am happy i bought a cooled CMOS

Thanks for the tip.  I'll see if adjusting the reducer next time gives a better result.  I do intend on buying a cooled camera within the next year, but I need to save up a little first.  

46 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

@Snoani they make a clip filter for EOS, but I haven’t been able to find out if it will fit the 450D. 

Ah ok.  I had only seen the 1.25" and 2" filter when I researching prior to buying mine.