NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

whats best way to take photos of planets on a budget?

49 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Not a tall. AS!3 has bad pixel map feature.

What sort of mount are you using for tracking? For bad pixels - best solution is to have your mount track less than perfect - so that planet moves across the sensor. 

Software will then pick up which frames have dead pixels in certain position - and use other frames to make that particular pixel - thus completely removing dead pixels from your image. But like I mentioned, for this to work the best - planet should not always be in the same spot as that makes bad pixel in the same place in all the frames - you don't want that.

From the video you posted - there is something really interesting - defocused image of Jupiter.

image.png.9cfbeefd38e23a6d9e7c407f2183f3ea.png

It looks like just a quarter of aperture is used (defocused image will start to show image of aperture). Do you know if something was blocking the front of the scope or maybe optics is out of alignment?

as stated before, i was still setting everything up while i recorded this. the camera quality is fine and the telescope has been collimated within the past 2 weeks. 

On 08/08/2020 at 16:22, batemantom said:

Forgot to mention before, I also tried using an old XBOX 360 webcam. It worked well... Until i noticed all the dead pixels....😠

C-ex in UK will sell you a second hand Ps3-Eye for £4 (they only used to be 50p!).

With some hacking and a 1.25" nosepiece (and a download of a suitable Windows driver), you can get images on Sharpcap etc

• Like 1