600D peltier cooling mod

Hi, 

I've just watched the Martin Pyott YouTube video on making a non invasive peltier cooling rig for the 600D. Has anyone here actually made and use one? Is it worth the effort? 

One of my main concerns (other than how effective it actually is) would be water getting in to the camera body as frost forms.

Thanks

Ed

Hi, 

I moded my camera, and made a peltier cooler like Martin. 

I actually went a step ahead, and put two copper shims, and the temp probe next to the sensor (see picture below) for better cooling, and better temp reading. The peltier concept is about the same, as Martin. I'm using 12706 TEC and a large heatsink and fan which sits in the LCD well. 

The goal of this mod is to prevent your sensor from going too hot. I manage to keep the sensor either at ambient or below by few degrees on very hot days. On cold days, I can easily keep the temp controlled at dew point, and it works well. I've attached a picture for you to see that it kept the temp around 15 deg, even after 2+ hours of shooting. 

No water or condensation issues so far inside the camera. 

20200716_134735.jpg

20200721_012355.jpg

I done that same mod (non invasive) on my 600D a few years ago. Works well enough to be fair. I always placed the temperature probe in a small gap between the camera body and copper plates. It used to get down to 4 or 5°C in cooler weather.

Recently though, a kind of lockdown project, I made a coolbox for my 6D with water cooling. More bulkier though and with the added complexity of water but I can get the inside of the box to sub zero temps. Think the cost of parts was ~100 quid.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/354732-yet-another-dslr-coolbox-thread/