NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DIY holder for a phone

igorigs

Trying to make a phone holder out of stuff I've got at home. Been searching for something that could fit the eyepiece for a couple of days and today while I was taking number two and sitting on my toilet something pops in my eye. 

The cap of roll on stick!

Tried fitting it and it fits like a glove! Although the eyepiece are those stock ones you get (Super). So this will probably be helpful for folks with only stock eyepieces.. 

Anyway here are some pictures, later I am going to drill a hole and glue it together. Then only thing to do is to wait for clear night and test it out. 

20200806_133524.jpg

20200806_133544.jpg

20200806_133635.jpg

19 minutes ago, LeeHore7 said:

Looks a great bit of DIY, I'd like to see how the photos turned out when you get clear skies.

Thanks mate! Had to shorten the tube and make the hole a bit bigger... It ain't beautiful but it's doing it's job.

20200809_125203.jpg

20200809_125212.jpg

20200809_125220.jpg

31 minutes ago, igorigs said:

@LeeHore7

This is a single shot of the Moon with Samsung J5, Auto ISO, Auto Focus and Exposure was on Auto also. Maybe i tweaked just a little bit. Could use some tips of getting good shots of planets and moons.

DSC_0018.JPG

Hi

Its a great adapter and saves a lot of money, I may have a go myself instead of having to keep taking off my nexyz adapter when I change ep (I usually use my svbony105 webcam but like to use phone every now and again).  Your moon shot look overexposed, if you have a pro mode or can adjust the iso and exposure settings just trial and error to find the best settings as the brightness of moon and planets changes all the time, if I remember rightly go for an iso of 100 shutter speed of 1/250 and alter exposure to make it darker.  Basically its all about altering those 3 settings and you can see the changes on the screen, e.g if the picture is to bright alter the settings make it brighter.  A better way is to take a video of the target and then use autostakkert to stack all the images to one image and then use registax to alter wavelets to sharpen and smooth it out, then photoshop to tweak it. I'm sure there's a link on here to show you how to do it, rather than my inane attempt to explain.

https://petapixel.com/2015/02/20/smartphone-astrophotography-how-i-capture-the-moon-and-planets-with-my-phone/

Edited by LeeHore7
  • Like 2