Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Widefield Cygnus constellation

Ken Mitchell

Just finished 2 days imaging at Cygnus. Always wanted to do a widefield of the N-America and Butterfly nebula.

Decided to do a two panel mosaic, nothing fancy, so one target/night. Managed to do 4 hrs each night, which should be enough to get decent amount of detail.

The first time I'm trying this region with a modded dslr, had good hopes after seeing some of the results from other members Although at first sight I was a bit disappointed. The original stack didn't show too much data but after doing some stretching a lot of the Ha nebula showed up. The more I processed the image the more 'hidden treasures' were revealed.

The most difficult part was the blending, as I decided to do 2 panels and wanted to get as much sky in the image, I only had an overlap of maybe 15%. So blending both with a lens that suffers from 'minor' coma this was a challenge.

A zoom into the image reveals some areas where I did the stitching and blending, just look the other way and no one will notice  🙃 

Here are some of the details on the image and equipment:

Nikon d90(mod)
Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8
settings: 125mm, f4, iso400
2 panels of 4hrs each, 300 seconds subs

guiding:
ZWO asi120mcs
TS 50mm guidescope
Tracking: Skywatcher Star Adventurer
software: 
guiding: phd2
Stacking: Deepskystacker 4.2.2