Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQDirect Drivers

groberts

I already have a working EQASCOM computer controlled setup using an EQDirect cable that works well and now want to set-up another Windows 10 laptop.  Unfortunately I last did this a few years ago and can't remember what I did then! 

Using a USB computer port to Mount  EQDirect cable, do I need to add a dedicated driver for the EQDirect - I already have EQMOD and ASCOM installed and working with another computer (see previous comment).  If so where can I find it?

Graham 

The EQDirect cable is a standard USB to 5V Serial adapter. You can get USB to 3.3V serial adapters as well but 5V ones are generally used for mount connections. Windows 10 already incorporates drivers for these USB to serial adapters so you shouldn't need to install one. The most common chipsets used in these adapters are from FTDI or Prolific and Windows has drivers for both. You can go to their websites for drivers but that shouldn't be necessary.

However there are cheap versions using unofficial copies of the Prolific chipset which will not work with the latest Prolific drivers as they detect the copies and disable them. FTDI chipset versions are the best ones to use at the moment. If you have one that is several years old it may well be a fake Prolific one which worked fine under older Windows versions but not with WIndows 10.

If you plug it in to the USB port and look in Device Manager under COM ports it will show what the chipset is. A fake Prolific one will probably be under 'Unknown devices' instead.

There are ways to get a fake Prolific one working with Windows 10 but it's a lot of hassle and a Windows update will most likely disable it again.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Alan

Edited by symmetal

4 hours ago, groberts said:

Thanks Alan, sounds like it should be OK then 👍

Famous last words  :cussing:  

After plugging in the EQDirect cable it was recognised in the Device manager + said it was working properly but in fact did not work and on closer inspection under driver says "PL2303HXA PHASED OUT SINCE 2012 PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SUPPLIER"!  After hours messing around its still not working.

Looking on Google this seems to be a common problem and, in fact, usually only means that it won't work with a more up-to-date driver.  I therefore copied over the driver file dated 2015 (is the correct thing to do?) from my Windows 7 machine (which still works fine with the older computer) but now get a "Code 10" error.

Aware of the fake Prolific EQDirect problems  I purchased my EQDirect cable from a mainstream astro supplier (can't remember who now) and it's always worked fine, except now with Windows 10.

Any suggestions of what to do would be most welcome.  I'm not entirely sure I copied the old driver correctly - copy & paste - so if there's a better way or another source that could work?  Although not proven I can certainly see the logic of using the older version, afterall it still works well on the the older machine.

Graham 

The fake Prolific chips were widespread and used on well known and respected brands. My first eqdirect cable I bought from a well known supplier had a copy (fake) chipset and worked fine until Windows 10 came out and Prolific decided to knobble them. Even FLO had the instructions on how to get them to work with Windows 10, by forcing Windows 10 to rollback to an old driver but this had to be done in a specific sequence. At the time it wasn't known that fake chipsets were the cause of the ptoblem. The next Windows update often switched it back to the latest driver needing the whole process to be repeated.

I gave up after this happened a few times and made my own EQDirect cables from FTDI cables from Farnell or similar. The main Astro suppliers then switched over to using FTDI chipset cables at much the same time. It's not worth wasting all the effort to try and get it to work. If you don't have a PC with pre Windows 10 on you may as well throw it away.

Your cable may be genuine and the message reported means the manufacturer (Prolific) doesn't suppot it anymore or that's the message you now get with a fake copy. I'm not sure.

Error code 10 means the device couldn't start due to an outdated or corrupt driver. FLO and others gave a link to the last driver which worked on WIndows 10 (pre-knobbling). I've probably got a copy of it somewhere.

Edit: The driver is PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v10518.exe

Early windows 10 and before had an option in the Device Manager Driver setup to stop the device from being updated by new drivers but that option seems to have gone now.

Alan

Edited by symmetal

Thanks Alan, pity but that's something of a reality check. 

I do have a spare + new Lynx FTDI cable / connector but as the exisiting Prolific one already worked well thought I'd just switch it over but, as they say, the rest is history and astronomy!  I'll give it one last try and if that doesn't work, which seems likely, will change the cabling for the Lynx, which I presume will also be OK with Windows 7?

Graham

4 hours ago, groberts said:

Thanks Alan, pity but that's something of a reality check. 

I do have a spare + new Lynx FTDI cable / connector but as the exisiting Prolific one already worked well thought I'd just switch it over but, as they say, the rest is history and astronomy!  I'll give it one last try and if that doesn't work, which seems likely, will change the cabling for the Lynx, which I presume will also be OK with Windows 7?

Graham

The Lynx one should be fine with Windows 7 though you may need to download a driver from FTDI if Win 7 doesn't include one.

Alan

Yes all is now working with both laptops :hello2: the driver just self loaded + just needed to sort the ports out. 

I appreciate your help Alan, now on to the other things that need sorting out - watch this space!

Graham 

• Like 1