NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mono/osc dual setup

Does anyone here use a dual setup with a mono and an osc? I'm thinking about getting an osc atik to match the mono one I already have and doing away with the rgb filters. Using the mono to collect the lum and any narrowband I fancy. While at the same time an osc using my cls filter to collect the rgb data. 

Thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated 

Dave

I ran a pair of Atik 4000s, one OSC and one mono, for a couple of years. It seemed like a logical solution at the time but I ended up feeling it wasn't. At around the same time two other SGL imagers came to the same conclusion.  I found that the OSC data proved to be very thin under the mono luminance and I gave up on OSC as a replacement for RGB. Instead I used the OSC  for the base image and the mono for Ha. That was OK - ish. What soon became screamingly obvious was that two mono cameras would be a lot better, so I went that way and they certainly were. I've been running dual mono rigs for quite a few years, now, and find them far more productive than OSC/mono.

Olly

• Like 1

I started a similar topic a few months back, although I still haven't purchased my second camera yet; potential house move takes priority with the funds at the moment, and there is a threat of a new mono camera from ZWO later this year making me hesitate.

For me, the sticky issue is the OSC camera is a lot cheaper, so that balances out the flexibility of being able to shoot NB with a mono, if I'm going to be shooting RGB most of the time. Although as a percentage of the whole rig, it's not that much extra to get the mono camera and filters.

The other benefit of the OSC camera is being able to shoot comets, which adds some extra versatility. Ultimately I think I will end up with 2 mono cameras and a OSC

Edited by SamAndrew

46 minutes ago, SamAndrew said:

I started a similar topic a few months back, although I still haven't purchased my second camera yet; potential house move takes priority with the funds at the moment, and there is a threat of a new mono camera from ZWO later this year making me hesitate.

For me, the sticky issue is the OSC camera is a lot cheaper, so that balances out the flexibility of being able to shoot NB with a mono, if I'm going to be shooting RGB most of the time. Although as a percentage of the whole rig, it's not that much extra to get the mono camera and filters.

The other benefit of the OSC camera is being able to shoot comets, which adds some extra versatility. Ultimately I think I will end up with 2 mono cameras and a OSC

Yes the versatility of a osc especially while there is a comet in the sky is what's making it very tempting. I also hate processing rgb. I never seem to be happy with it. Also the size of the chip in the 314 means I dont really do narrowband much as not much fits onto my chip with the ed80. Tho I have always been more of a galaxy man anyway. That's why I have been debating between osc and mono. I love the detail from my mono lum but the rgb side annoys me. Also my green filter has a flaw that I cant see but causes bright stars to flair. Tried cleaning it but makes no difference.