Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing Buffet

Every year I start by evaluating the last for it's high and low points, things I could do better, things I missed out on and of course how to improve. One of the aims for this year is to try to look at a specific area of sky and take more time, study and allow objects more time to be viewed. A more patient accurate observing style if you will. Well that went out the window last night!

How am I supposed to be disciplined to one subject when we have Neowise in the NW, Jupiter and Saturn in the East and the best milkyway of the year right over my head without any light pollution! What is an Astronomer to do? Observe everything of course.

In my defence I did try to stay around Cygnus, why not? what an amazing constellation and area of sky in general. I did start with Neowise just after eleven, using the 130 newt. The core looks like a soft ball of coton wool and the coma was evident but I think I still prefer my low power binoculars.

After PA and star alignment I give it all a check by asking for M81/82 and then the Sunflower galaxy. I should say now that I have moved onto the 150pds as I plan to test image M27 Dumbell Nebula for the first time. You may have guessed by now that this disciplined narrow focussed session is starting with a comet, moving into Planetary Nebular territory, quick hop to Super Nova Remnants, onto Andromeda galaxy and M32/101, dip into the planets, possible peak at M30 which would take me to 109/110 of the Messier list then cap it off with M27 AP session! And somehow I managed most of it.

M57 Ring Nebula- I have observed this before and it did not disappoint. Needed averted vision at times to really discern the ring.

NGC6992 Eastern Veil- Now Nebula are my nemesis as at present I do have any special filters for this task so I have always failed at the Veil. Not this time. 25mm ep and I could the cresent off white to grey filaments, that is a big win for me. Same for NGC6960, big smile on my face.

NGC7027 Pink Pillow PN. Absolutely nothing, it does happen from time to time, these PN's can be tiny.

NGC7000 Never managed this one before either. Can't see it but something odd. It's like I can see a negative of it. I can't see a hydrogen cloud in space but there appears to be a darker area obscuring background stars, which tapers to a point. Can I say I saw it when I didn't see it?

NGC6826 Blinking Planetary. I think my third observation of this oddity. I remember having some advice on here about how to observe the blink and I found it more of a dimming then brightening over a few seconds. Five seconds direct then five seconds averted vision seemed to do the trick.

NGC7009 Saturn Nebula. I can see it is elongated and looks slightly blue in colour but I think it is at the limit of my kit.

Now for a change and I have been missing Andromeda, so M31 here we come. 40mm ep and right away a reminder of just how big that thing really is. M32 and M101 direct vision companions in the fov.

I need now to head over to my SE so I spend some time on Jupiter and grab a look at Saturn. Not enough time on Jupiter sadly but enough time to discerne the weather bands and work out the three moons that were visible. I think Europa was hiding behind the giant planet.

M30!!!!!!! I have a somewhat compromised southern horizon so I was not confident of seeing this Globular Cluster but luck favours the brave and there it was in the notch between the only trees that give me a problem. 109 of 110 Messier objects with M68 in Hydra left to go. So close yet so far.

So we draw to a close with a 17mm ep look at M27 Dumbell. Interesting object and appears quite large for a PN. On goes the camera for a short 30 minutes of subs and darks. The picture below is the end result and before a hail of "this is the observing thread" I am going out again tonight to get another 2 hours data to combine with this one. If anyone is interested I will post on the relevant Imaging thread when I have processed it.

Now back to that New years list of resolutions………….

Marvin

Autosave (2).png

• Like 4