Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Site location advice needed!

Hi all

I have a rare opportunity to go out tonight to try and see Neowise among other things! I live in Derby and was planning on driving out through Ashbourne toward Buxton. Can anyone recommend a place for me to go that had wide visible horizons, while being away from LP? 

Thanks in advance

Nige

• Like 1

Hello Nige.  I don’t have the local knowledge to point out a good location.

If no one in your area comes up with good advice then your best bet is to consult online or physical maps, then if possible do a daytime visit.

Ideally you need - a good north to northwest horizon without obstructions, easy access without trespass, little or no light pollution and above all little likelihood of a risk to personal safety.

I’m always looking for the above in my local area and it’s tough to find somewhere ideal, but it can be done - your personal safety is of course the first consideration.

Good luck, Ed 🙂

• Like 1

Hi Ed

Took a punt and drove to an old location I used to use for landscape photography near a place called Thorpe, just out of Ashbourne. The carpark I used to use now has a barrier across it, so I parked about a mile away, and walked down. Should have taken a torch as it was really dark!!

Got to see the comet though, so was chuffed with that. I plan to take some daylight trips out over the coming weekends to scout out some new locations. Thanks for your comments!

Nige

On 19/07/2020 at 11:15, Nigeyboy said:

Hi all

I have a rare opportunity to go out tonight to try and see Neowise among other things! I live in Derby and was planning on driving out through Ashbourne toward Buxton. Can anyone recommend a place for me to go that had wide visible horizons, while being away from LP? 

Thanks in advance

Nige

I don't know your area, but here's a light pollution map:

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=5.10&lat=6590529&lon=-151987

• Like 1