Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help me to choose my career

Seon tuscano

On 19/07/2020 at 00:55, Seon tuscano said:

India could u suggest me about my career and different options??!!

What is your idea of "space science"?

• Building rockets and satellites? (i.e. space engineering)
  • Observing galaxies and nebulae? (i.e. astronomy)
  • Moons of Jupiter, craters, etc? (i.e. planetary science)

How good are your grades? Are you good at math and do you like math?

I am not familiar with the Indian school system. What is 12th science?

Let me start by saying that all the things I listed (astronomy, planetary science, space engineering) are all things that India does, but they are all small fields and very competitive. So in all cases the strategy would be to pursue a career in university that gives you the opportunity to go into those disciplines but also keeps options open in case that plan doesn't work out. This won't be difficult at all because all the things that truly specialize those disciplines are things that you'd learn later in your career. The main goal should be to keep doors open:

• In all cases you would need to study math and classical physics. Very important.
  • You have to either teach yourself how to program or take a course. Try to find a course targeted toward science students rather than "computer science".
  • If you want to pursue space engineering you need to look into engineering courses.
  • If you want to pursue astronomy, some astronomy courses would be helpful.
  • If you want to pursue planetary science, you might want to take a geology course, and at least first year chemistry.

If you give me more details, I can help you more. I am an astronomy postdoc at a university and I'm familiar with some of the options.