NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First steps - ZWO or Star Adventurer

I've never really been tempted to take a step into what seems be the complicated and expensive world of astrophotography, partly because I can come on here and see amazing photos that you all have taken. Having seen Neowise this past week, I have become curious and wished I had a set up to take some photos.

I am about to upgrade the tripod for  my AZ-Gti mount and apparently it can also take the Star Adventurer. I've seen this kit mentioned in here very favourably. I am looking for some advice about wherever to invest in this, or perhaps the ZWO cameras which I think can just slot onto the 127mak and soon to buy Startraveler refractor on the AZ-GTi.

Would welcome any advice and quidance. Thanks! 

On 18/07/2020 at 07:52, -philip- said:

Neowise

Hi

You probably already have what you need. A camera and a tripod. A lens anywhere between say 50mm and 300mm and 1 or 2 second exposures will capture the comet.

After that, what would you like to shoot?

Oh, and it's as expensive as you make it. But a lot cheaper than golf. Or travel!

Cheers

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi

You probably already gave what you need. A camera and a tripod. A lens anywhere between say 50mm and 300mm and 1 or 2 second exposures will capture to he comet.

After that, what would you like to shoot?

Oh, and it's as expensive as you make it. But a lot cheaper than golf. Or travel!

Cheers

I don't have a camera yet, this is what I'm pondering, do I get the Star explorer (and a DSLR camera) or a zwo camera...

I think I've missed the boat for Neowise, and the clouds look pretty thick for the next few days. I would like to try and photograph planets. 

I would begin by reading Making Every Photon Count (by Steve Richards, available from FLO.) So much in AP is counter intuitive that it's easy to buy inappropriate kit. If you're thinking of imaging with a Skywatcher Star Travel refractor - don't! It is totally unsuited to the task because its colour correction is catastrophically bad, being a fast achromatic doublet. It will give you big pools of blue bloat around the stars. It's a fine budget grab and go 'scope but don't image with it.

Olly

• Like 1

6 hours ago, -philip- said:

try and photograph planets

Hi

OK, planets it is.

Best to go along to an astro club where you can see the stuff first hand. They'll get your127 mak setup for you with their own cameras and mounts so you can see for yourself. No expensive guesswork going it alone.

Cheers

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1