Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I switched to mono and now I'm swimming in filter choices

Hi I recently switched to a mono cam and filter wheel, and now I feel like I have an abundance of choices to make and not much idea on why I should make certain choices and what combinations of filter data I can combine in one image.

So far I know that RGB is basically what my old osc cam would do so that filter combo seems pretty straight forward.

Then there's SHO, good for nebulas, I'm currently taking an SHO image of the lagoon nebula that is shaping up nicely. What would happen to the SHO image if I added some data captured using an L filter? And how would I go about doing this?

But then there's stuff like LRGB a combination im not sure what it gives but I have seen people use it really nicely. Is L added as a luminance layer in photoshop?

Then there's HaRGB again I assume that you can add it in as a lumince layer in photoshop?

Are there other combinations that are common practice and how do you pull them all together?

For example at the moment I am working on the western veil nebula. I have captured some decent O and Ha data, but I would like some RGB in as well to get some natural star colour in there, but I am not sure on how to add the RGB data in.

I love that the mono cam and filter wheel has given me all these options, but I am not sure how best to utilise them.

Best,