NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Imaging Planets and Resolution

When imaging planets, is setting the camera to a higher resolution beneficial? considering a small area of the chip is being used. When i image Jupiter for example, using 640x480 allows for a higher frame rate but, is this incorrect? am i sacrificing detail by trying to gain higher frame rate this way? i usually shoot with a barlow and Neximage5 camera. One other anomaly with either the camera or, Icap software is particularly annoying, i will shoot a short burst of about a thousand frames in X amount of time (seconds) then, if i make the slightest adjustment to the exposure slider, suddenly, the frame rate will be at a crawl. A thousand frame video now takes a lot longer, an increase in exposure and, frame rate suddenly  takes a nose dive.

Edited by Sunshine

All using a ROI of 640x480 does is use a smaller area of the chip. It doesn’t change the resolution as the pixels are still the same size so no loss of detail.

Your frame rate and exposure are obviously linked. At an exposure of 1/60 of a second you can capture 60 frames in a second but if you change to 1/10 of a second you will now only capture 10 frames per second.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Freddie said:

All using a ROI of 640x480 does is use a smaller area of the chip. It doesn’t change the resolution as the pixels are still the same size so no loss of detail.

Your frame rate and exposure are obviously linked. At an exposure of 1/60 of a second you can capture 60 frames in a second but if you change to 1/10 of a second you will now only capture 10 frames per second.

This clarifies everything, thanks a bunch!