Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Seriously dumb question about Sharpcap Polar Align location settings

BrendanC

Hi,

On every other bit of astro software I've got - Stellarium, APT, EQMOD - I can specify my lat long as either RA and Dec, or using the equivalent decimal versions which comprises a positive latitude and, for my location, a NEGATIVE longitude value.

So, I don't actually know how to convert this into the Sharpcap Polar Alignment settings field, which asks for positive decimal versions of both. 

So, given that my longitude is 00°55'52.8"W, which is -0.931339 in decimal... how would I specify this as a positive value in the Sharpcap longitude field? Would it be 0.931339 East?

I know I could just ask Sharpcap to take the ASCOM mount values, but I'd prefer actually to see the correct values in front of me because I'm funny that way.

I told you it was a seriously dumb question. :)

Edited by BrendanC

Mmmmmmkay, just read up on this, western hemisphere always has negative longitude, so -0.931339 is by definition West, which means I can specify it as 0.931339 West.

If I'm wrong, please shout, like this: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!"

Thanks, Brendan