Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Photoshop Processing

Ah the joys of color profiles.....

HP used to have this sort of sussed... a test chart which you adjusted yout monitor to match, scanned in on the scanner printed out on the printer then scanned the printed output and after soem software jiggery pokery you had something which sort of worked... and this was back in the bad old days...

I can remeber photoshop coming on a few 1.44Mb floppy disks...

Ahhh... bloatware....

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm!, I have my monitor calibrated with Adobe Gamma, and its fine Ron :? .

In fact it is very little different to that which the monitor applies, if I press it's 'auto' button.

The thing with Adobe Gamma is, alhough it takes you through a calibration sequence, its still your own Mk1 eyeball, that makes the decisions.

Dave

Don't get me wrong, from chapter 3 onwards it's good stuff, if treated a little dryly for my tastes - but I've learned a lot.

I too use Adobe gamma to calibrate my monitor and I can see the importance of getting your monitor calibration reasonably accurate. I just wonder whether it might have been better to deal with the subject briefly over a 3 or 4 pages then refer the reader to an appendix at the end of the book that covered the subject in more depth or referred the reader to other publications on the subject. A twenty plus page treatise on monitor calibration implying that you should spend £100s on monitor calibration equipment made me wonder whether the rest of the book also assumed you had big bucks and infinite time to spend. All this at the beginning of the book was a real turn off for me and it took me a few weeks before I really got into the book again.

I also found the chapter on layer mask rather confusing. I have since read other photoshop publications which explain masks in a much better way.

For my present needs it's a bit too high end, but it was still worth the £25 I paid for it secondhand.

Archived