Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Suitable Mounts for the SkyWatcher Explorer 150p / 200p

Hi all,

Having reconsidered my next scope choice im looking into Newtonian Reflectors and the SkyWatcher Explorer 150p and 200p have caught my eye. Anyone have suggestions for suitable mounts for these? Im more interested in AltAz mounts and am having trouble finding anything GoTo as well (AZ GTi for example) as they would all seem to struggle with these scopes, especially the 200p which ive seen a weight of ~8kg

Ive noticed the 150p also comes in 2 different focal lengths but think would go with the shorter f5 (non-L version) as im looking for an all-rounder (which i know technically doesn't exist in the scope world :)). The 200p doesnt seem to offer this though, which im not sure why? I've also not cvonsidered the PDS variants as im not interested in using it for AP.

Thanks!

The Explorer 200P is F/5. The one they use in the dobsonian, the Skyliner 200P is F/6. An F/7 or F/8 would be a very long and heavy tube which would push even an EQ6 to it's limits.

This is an 8 inch F/8:

Building an 8 inch f/8 telescope

• Like 1

The choice of alt-az GoTo mounts that will handle a 6" or 8" Newtonian is very limited.  I am only aware of the Sky-watcher AZ-EQ5 or an Ioptron model.  These both cost so much that you might as well look at an 8" or 6" SCT on an alt-az GoTo mount. In fact I bought my used C8 SE for less than the price of either of these mounts. 

You could also look at Dobsonians with GoTo.   They are alt-az...