NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

INCREASING MAGNIFICATION

Having now got my Explorer 130 I would like to increase the magnification. From the eye pieces supplied and 2X Barlow I can get 26,52,65 and 130 times mag. The limit for the scope according to the lit is 260X. Would getting a 3X Barlow, which would give me an additonal 78X and 195X be the best option, just get a 5mm eye piece to take me to 260X with the 2X Barlow or is there a better option. I initially plan to start with Lunar and Planatry observations.

I'd say get a good 5mm EP, always remembering that the max useful magnification under UK skys is in the region of 200x apart from those rare, incredibly clear nights when you can crank it up a bit.

To be hoest, I wouldn't bother with the smaller EP. I had the same scope as you and bought a 7.5mm Super Plossl, but it rarley got any use. The eye relief was way too small and the image was very dark and dull, plus it was a nightmare to keep anything in the field of view as it was so tiny!

I've used a 4mm with my current set up and had the same problems. If you can get hold of an ortho or an apogee, then all the better as they give great FOV's and superb eye relief. If not, I'd be tempted to go down the route of a 3x Barlow and the EP's you've already got. FLO have some terrific Tal 3x Barlows in stock now.

Terry,

Don't want to put a dampener on your enthusiasm, but if you can get to "try" a decent 5mm eyepiece first. I say this, as some 5mm eyepieces may not be suited to your 130P. A 5mm eyepiece would be better than a 3x Barlow as a single eyepiece is introducing less glass surfaces into the light path of your 130P, so you should obtain a marginally brighter view than with a 3x Barlow AND a 10mm eyepiece.

Oh! and don't forget, unless you pay BIG money, most 5mm eyepieces will have a much smaller lens to get your eye in position on, a much smaller field of view, and less eye relief than your 10mm.

It may be worth putting out a request for an SGL member to visit you with some eyepieces for you to try before you decide to buy. There may just be someone living close enough to you.

Regards,

philsail1

Ah! I've just seen that "Thing" has replied. I would tend to agree with his advice there (He doesn't look like his "avatar" pic!).

I used a Meade 3000 series 5mm on my 130pm and although the exit pupil is small, the views on moon and planets were very good, but as advised, if you can arrange to try before you buy, it will give you an idea of what's best suited to you

I used a Meade 3000 series 5mm on my 130pm and although the exit pupil is small, the views on moon and planets were very good, but as advised, if you can arrange to try before you buy, it will give you an idea of what's best suited to you

The Meade 3000 series were very underrated IMHO - Japanese glass often at a givaway price - worth looking out for :hello2:

I echo the other posters views - the maximum theoretical magnifying power of a scope is rarely, if ever, useable in reality. I found 200x plenty on the planets with my 8" scope most of the time.

John

Archived