Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Confused on what filter to buy

Hi, I've been looking at the L-enhance, L-pro and tri band filters and posted a wanted add for one on SGL...

I've been sat thinking and I ideally want to block some LP but also enhance some colour from my targets, I used to have a HA filter for my dslr before I switched to CMOS and just found on the sparse clear sky nights I just couldn't finish a HARGB.

Is an UV/IR cut filter the better option for me? 

I live in bortle 5 skies and try to get 2 -4 hours per target time permitting.

Does the L enhance shoot narrowband or does it just enhance the colour while blocking some LP? 

Many thanks for any input 

Dan

2 hours ago, MarkAR said:

A lot will depend on what type of light pollution is nearby.

There's some handy info on this video.

Thanks Mark, will have a look at this video for sure. Just really torn on what to buy so hopw this helps my decision 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkAR said:

At a guess I would say you won't need anything too strong. Maybe an L-Pro or IDAS D1 for Bortle 5 skies, though it will depend on if there are any strong light sources nearby.

I have a street lamp Mark but I made a make shift cover for that so I'm ok, I more want to pull some colour out but suppress the LP a little.

Am i right in saying the L pro isnt great for galaxys or is that the l enhance?

12 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

From what I can remember the L-Enhance isn't great for galaxies.

Cheers mark. Just watched a vid on the L pro on andromeda and it looked like it worked very well!