NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Wedge For Evolution & Nexstar 6/8 SE Telescopes

37 minutes ago, Beardy30 said:

Quite a few comments I’ve read that the se is capable of some reasonable imaging 

It is but with caveats. Planets definitely, small galaxies also possible with excellent tracking (probably with an OAG as this will help with mirror flop) and a lot of integration time. It is also very difficult to focus manually so I'd recommend some sort of electric focuser, preferably one capable of autofocus. 

Most nebulae are too big for the focal length of this scope however planetaries are possible with excellent focus, tracking and integration time.

The stock mount in my opinion is not suitable as you are already approaching it's limits in terms of weight. I'm also not sure if you can autoguide the 8se mount.

Coming from someone who started imaging with the same scope, it is hard and there will be a lot of disappointment along the way, however there will be times that you will nail it and get some decent images.

I now no longer image much with my 8se and just use it for visual, I'll probably set it up for imaging when I want to try and image the iss and when the planets are a bit higher in the sky in 2023.

edit. some examples of 8se pictures.

https://www.astrobin.com/162412/?page=5&nc=user

https://www.astrobin.com/mbaf4l/?page=5&nc=user

Edited by Wyvernp
  • Like 1

That aside, the amount of money that you's have to spend getting the 8se to a point where you can get really good images is probably the same as buying a new scope specifically for that purpose. Have a search on youtube for Chuck's Astrophotography, In his early videos he was using an 8se and you can see the modifications made to it to get the images that he did from it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beardy30 said:

Many threads arguing decent images are possible 

I had an LX90 and bought a wedge for the same purposes you are considering. All it did was add frustration - it was awkward to set up and align, took longer to get set up and it was more weight to lug around. I've had a quick look at the Celestron wedge and it adds another 7Kg to move around. If you can have a permanent set up they might be fine, but otherwise I would just get an EQ mount. I have an AVX and it is both lighter and quicker to set up that the LX90+wedge ever was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1