NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Attaching a finderscope to a camera tripod

Hi.

I was thinking about attaching my new 10x60 findersope to my sturdy old Velbon tripod, as a little grab-and-go scope. Is there an adapter for a synta/vixen type fixing to fit the standard camera tripod shoe? I can't find one using my Google powers.

Ta

Can’t find exactly what you want but perhaps this?

Guiding Scope Ring Ki

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=guiding+scope+ring+kit&i=electronics&crid=1H3A1U1SNAN1O&sprefix=Guiding+Scope+Ring+Ki%2Celectronics%2C181&ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_1_21

Should find it on eBay as well. Has a1/4 photo screw thread in the base.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK. I've worked it out. I discovered a thing called a "Cheese Plate". now I thought these were things that came out for Christmas tea, but they appear to  be used for custom photography tripod mounts. So I got a small one and another finder shoe. Managed to fit then together successfully, and have now been able to mount my 60mm Altair RACI finder onto my old Velbon tripod.

The main driver for this is so that I have something to search for Comet C/2020 F3 NEOWISE. It's just above the horizon NNE pre-dawn. The only way I'm going to find it is on the beach at the end of my street, which faces North. 

IMG_20200705_201502954.jpg

IMG_20200705_201737832.jpg

IMG_20200705_202544992.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

The cheese plate solution looks great!  

Any chance of a link to the one you bought. Thanks.

Hi,

It's here:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00X752FNA

I had to raid my box of bolts to find something suitable. Most of the holes are threaded 1/4" and 3/8" - but some are plain flanged holes and slots

• Thanks 1