NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Please help, how much is this telescope worth?

Hi,

Sorry if I didn't post this the right place.
I'd like to ask for advice regarding this telescope+mount that I have which I wish to sell but I have no idea what it's worth.
I'm hoping that some of you kind people can give me a rough estimate.
My knowledge about it (and telescopes in general) is a bit limited but here's what I know:

Telescope+mount are about 20 years old. Was used only a few times and then kept (well covered) in an attic till recently.
10 inch Orion Newtonian(tube length approx 113cm) on a motorised German equatorial mount.
Motor/tracking still works when plugged in.
Both mirrors seem in excellent condition.
Some rust on the mount but otherwise it looks ok.
Mount is extremely heavy, but I'm not sure exactly how much it weighs.

Thanks in advanced to anyone taking the time to help :)

IMG-20191222-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20191222-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20191222-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20191222-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20191222-WA0011.jpg

If you could find the right buyer, you might get $200 for it based on sales in the US.  The problem is, it is old, huge, heavy, commercial quality, and non-computerized, so it appeals to a very narrow group of buyers into vintage scopes.  There might be someone who would want to either turn into a solid tube Dob or just scavenge the optics to make a truss Dob.  I have seen some folks put retractable castors on these and wheel them out of their garage onto their driveway for use.

I think Louis is about right here in the UK as well.

The scope is a very early Orion Optics newtonian on one of their early equatorial mounts.

It is the sort of scope that someone who knows scopes well might buy for a relatively low cost as a refurbishment project.

It has some potential but does need quite a bit of work.

I would say most of the money is in the Optical Tube, I think if the mirrors are good then the optical tube alone would be worth £180-200. I had real trouble selling a very similar mount recently, it took me a long time to sell it for just 50 quid, so I'd try 225 for the lot. 

Edited by Lockie