Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Venus + features

Lady Isabella

Observation started this afternoon at 3 p.m. with 80mm f/15 Achromat refractor. Cusp caps features easily visible, both pure white, the southern Cusp cap was about twice the size of its Northern brother/sister. At the tips, the terminator appears to go inwards before meeting the rest of the terminator. Slight wavy edge to the terminator. Started getting glimpses of a dark feature near to the centre of the terminator. Magnification used was 160x with yellow, green and red filters used at times. These f/15 Achromats sure are sweet scopes to use, only the very slightest C.A. present.

At 5p.m. switched over to 102mm f/8 APO refractor at 163x. All above features confirmed. The dark feature seen near to the centre of the terminator was clearly resolved as two dark streaky markings, that started at the terminator and then both spread out as they went back towards the limb of the planet, getting fainter and fainter as they approached the limb of Venus.

In the APO, the intensity of the white in the Cusp caps was staggering. In total the observing session lasted nearly 4 hours.

A very interesting report indeed. Especially as i was observing Venus yesterday and thought i was seeing things. Venus was unusually steady. But what shocked was a hint of darker markings. I dismissed it immediately as my brain playing tricks. But the more i looked and got comfortable, the easier it became to see. They were as you say, two dark streaks. I tried various mags but settled at 218x using the 12.5" newt. Also used a very light ND filter to tame the dazzling light. Was pretty chuffed and was going to start my own thread today to see if anyone else had seen this before. But you beat me to it.

The f15 achromat sounds very nice btw.

Regards

Russ

Hi Russ

Very well done with picking up the markings on Venus, it's a great feeling when you know that you have

seen features on this difficult object. It always saddens me when I see people totally dismiss the

planet as an observing target. It's difficult and most definitely a challenge, but details and features

are there for an observer wishing to put in the effort as can be seen here.

http://www.take27.co.uk/BAA_MV/MVVenus_old.html

The f/15 scope is wonderful, it gives near APO views at a peanuts price.

I have just been observing Venus myself with my 130pm and 6mm revelation eye piece.

I used the moon filter to dull down the glare, and could easily see various colours of light blue to yellowish. Although, my viewing was horribly impared by a street light that was hanging almost next to it.

Still, this is my first proper glimpse of venus as it's usually quite low and the tops of the houses stop my from seeing it. As I saw how high it was I thought I'd have a good look.

Still fairly new to star gazing, so I don't know any of the technical jargon, but I was very impressed with what I have just seen.

And then I had a good look at the moon. Although not so much detail as it's nearly full, it's still breathtaking to behold.

Although, I think it's gonna be too bright to catch a good look at orion again tonight!!

Archived