NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dark pictures with few stars

Diddykong

Just been trying to get my new ATIK414EX OSC working.  I believe I have the spacing sorted and managed to obtain good focus on a star before aiming for a galaxy, however the exposures all showed very little detail and were dark (almost like a very low ISO on a DSLR).   I am using the ATIK DUSK capture software.

Below is a 20 second and a 5 minute exposure (guided)

Any advice and help is much appriciated.

5 minute exposure.PNG

20 second exposure.PNG

Hi, I strongly suspect this is because you haven't stretched your image.  What software are you using to post process?

Here's a quick video on how to stretch your images 

Edited by Wyvernp
  • Like 1

The image depth appears truncated already, maybe by uploading it. But I did get a bit more out of the 1st image in P.S. and ran it through astrometry.net

M101 is almost out of frame but there are a few fuzzies showing through.

Certainly needs more data (multiple stacked image "subs") and as already noted a lot of processing!

I had had some success with M101 by stacking about 20 x 180 sec subs @ ISO 800, then lots of stretching in Photoshop. That was through my 250mm newt in light polluted skies.

No idea about the specifics of your camera. I used an unmodified DSLR.

Thank you for the replies.  I haven't done any post processing so no they are not stretched.

When I used my DSLR I was able to see alot of detail in a 30 second exposure for example.  How am I meant to middle my object if I can't see any detail in an unstretched image?  Is there capture software that can stretch the image after it is taken?

8 hours ago, Wyvernp said:

The only software I'm aware of is called backyard eos/nikon, I've never used or even seen it but I remember the name mentioned somewhere so not sure if they can stretch though.

That’s for DSLR cams not an Atik.

1 minute ago, Freddie said:

That’s for DSLR cams not an Atik.

Ahh my bad, I re-read and lost the camera mentioned at the start and just picked up on dslr mentioned later...doh

Does N.I.N.A work with atik cameras? should do as long as they have an ascom driver right?