Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ZWO ASI290MC vs Altair GPCAM2 327C

Bigwings

Gently tiptoeing into astrophotography after many years visual. Contemplating a dedicated astro camera to compliment my old Canon 1000d. 

I have 3 scopes

Explorer 200p

Explorer 130 P DS

Skymax 150 Mak

Mount is an EQ5 Pro. 

I have a shortlist of the two cameras in the heading for a bit of planitary some DSO and some live stacking. 

Which is best fit and why please. Of course I could have it totally wrong. 

Thanks for your guidance..... Oh yes it can be my guide camera for long exposures with the DSLR.

Clear skies

Big wings the confused

The 327 is usb 2.0 and the 290mc is usb 3.0. The 290 will give you a higher frame rate, especially in roi which you will help for 'lucky imaging' the planets and moon.  If the choice was between these 2 cameras, i would go with the 290mc. If not, then for around the same price bracket i would consider the 385c which has a larger pixel size, usb 3.0, high frame rates and will give you a slightly larger fov.

The problem with a small sensor is getting enough stars in the fov for the live stacking to work, so a slightly larger sensor makes life a little easier in that respect. 

astronomy_tools_fov.png.ffdba45bb6269e30a6f6880ff762c4bd.png

• Like 1