Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Confused

Hi all,

I am totally new and I am wanting to learn navigating by the Stars. I know the brightness star in the sky is Polaris. But on clear or semi clear nights I see a very bright star in the west or North West (no other stars closeby) I am using my naked eye and have as yet no telescope.

What is this star called? and why is the North Star not a bright as this one? :hello2:

If it helps I reside in Frodsham, Cheshire, England. UK.

Thankyou

josel :salute:

Hi Josel,

Polaris is not the brightest star in the sky - sorry...

The best bet is to use a star atlas, you can buy them, such as the Philips Planisphere, or access them online, such as sky and telescopes page (http://skychart.skytonight.com/observing/skychart/skychartlaunch.asp), or download them Cartes Du Ciel (http://www.stargazing.net/astropc/)

There are plenty of options to choose from.

Joining a local active society is also a good idea, and learning from others where things are.

If you want to find Polaris, use the 2 left hand stars of the Big Dipper (Ursa Major), and draw a virtual line up - the next bright star you find is Polaris, the north star. For navigation by the stars, thats the only one to use, as the rest move throughout the year with the seasons as the Earth goes around the Sun.

The brightest star in the sky is actually Sirius, and at the moment that is rising in the mid-evening to the South - you can't miss it - its very bright and very twinkly

Cheers,

Richie

I have to agree with Richie with his comment, Polaris is NOT the brightest star in the sky, not even close.

The brightest star in the sky is actually Sirius, and at the moment that is rising in the mid-evening to the South - you can't miss it - its very bright and very twinkly

Not to be confused with Venus, which early evening in the south, and also very twinkly :hello2:

Archived