Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What lenses should I get for edge HD 8

It comes with a 40mm but.you know. What should I get and 1.25 or 2 in for this scope.  I'm a rookie here.  I was buying a 14mm 82 degree e s piece for the nexstar 8se. But it came with a couple extra eyepieces too. And then the filters....ugh

Some people fit  low power 2" eyepieces on these scopes, but if it does not come with 2" adaptors, you would need a 2" visual back, 2" diagonal and 2" eyepiece.  Add up the cost of these and you might think that your money was better spent on a separate widefield scope. 1.25" eyepieces are cheaper.

Eyepieces - AFAIK same as for a C8, I use a 25mm, 15mm 8mm and a 8-24mm zoom.  At f10 eyepiece choice should not be critical, so buy whatever is in your comfort zone.

Filters - don't buy unless you find a need for a narrowband filter like an OIII, or suchlike.

I have found the Celestron X-Cel eyepieces work quite well with the 8SE (almost the same thing as C8), no need to spend a lot on high quality eyepieces for an f10 scope. 

If the C8 has the 2" back the same as the 8SE and you have the money to spend, then a 2" visual back / 2" dual-speed focuser and 2" diagonal should transform your C8 into a much more dynamic instrument, enabling you to quickly switch between normal 1.25" eyepieces and 2".  I have a very nice PanaView 38mm eyepiece which is simply fantastic for the Orion Nebula and star clusters, although that's probably the only 2" eyepiece I use with my 8SE (I only own two 2" eyepieces at present).

My refractor is also 2" at the back so I use the diagonal and eyepieces with that too, I look at those accessories as investments rather than an expense.  Consider if you are ever likely to be able to afford or own another telescope that might use 2" accessories.

For me the 2" dual speed focuser was well worth the upgrade on the 8SE for smoother and easier focusing alone, and the reason why I went 2" on the 8SE.  Just beware though that 2" accessories will unbalance the scope unless it's on an EQ mount and your dovetail bar has enough length to compensate; my 8SE no longer fitted on the original 8SE NexStar mount with the 2" accessories fitted.

Edited by jonathan