Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starwave 80ED-R V2 vs WO Zs73

Anyone had both? Had one of them? 

Pros and cons of each...

Which would you choose between the two for imaging with a dslr (600d) 

Many thanks 

Edited by Dan13
Changed subject

17 hours ago, Dan13 said:

Anyone had both? Had one of them? 

Pros and cons of each...

Which would you choose between the two for imaging with a dslr (600d) 

Many thanks 

Owned neither but I would say that the intrinsically the 80mm will have better correction at F7 than the 73mm will at F6 but if you factor a 0.8x reducer into the 80mm that situation is going to reverse. For the same reason I would not be tempted by the new Flat 73R and would stick with a Flat73a going that way.

So for wide feild I would choose the 73mm and for smaller targets the 80mm.

But to be honest there is not going to be a whole bunch in it performance wise going on specification, there is not much out there on the 80 ED-R 2 and lots of decent images from the WO73.

I would also view it as Altair vs WO and in my opinion your choice of retailer matters too and not all will supply both scopes. Cant comment on that directly but do some research and factor it into your thinking. For me its all about how things are handelled when something is not right.

Adam

3 hours ago, Adam J said:

Owned neither but I would say that the intrinsically the 80mm will have better correction at F7 than the 73mm will at F6 but if you factor a 0.8x reducer into the 80mm that situation is going to reverse. For the same reason I would not be tempted by the new Flat 73R and would stick with a Flat73a going that way.

So for wide feild I would choose the 73mm and for smaller targets the 80mm.

But to be honest there is not going to be a whole bunch in it performance wise going on specification, there is not much out there on the 80 ED-R 2 and lots of decent images from the WO73.

I would also view it as Altair vs WO and in my opinion your choice of retailer matters too and not all will supply both scopes. Cant comment on that directly but do some research and factor it into your thinking. For me its all about how things are handelled when something is not right.

Adam

Thank you Adam, 

Similar thoughts to myself, I have read two very glowing reviews for the SW80ed-R but not seen a single video which is troubling but also a little annoying because it writes very well on paper imo and would have liked to have seen more.

Your advice about retailer is spot on and that's exactly what I spent most of yesterday looking at and its brought me to a marmite conclusion....

I'm considering getting the RVO horizon package (I no the colour is love it or hate it) but RVO seem to have nailed it with the quality aspect and also comes with zygo test sheet with a min of 0.95 strehl ratio.

Optics look great, 1x flatner is good, I'm going to have a chat with them tomorrow I think.

6 hours ago, Dan13 said:

Thank you Adam, 

Similar thoughts to myself, I have read two very glowing reviews for the SW80ed-R but not seen a single video which is troubling but also a little annoying because it writes very well on paper imo and would have liked to have seen more.

Your advice about retailer is spot on and that's exactly what I spent most of yesterday looking at and its brought me to a marmite conclusion....

I'm considering getting the RVO horizon package (I no the colour is love it or hate it) but RVO seem to have nailed it with the quality aspect and also comes with zygo test sheet with a min of 0.95 strehl ratio.

Optics look great, 1x flatner is good, I'm going to have a chat with them tomorrow I think.

I am not sure that I would go with that package to be honest, although the scope looks like a good bet. It has a colimatable lens cell which I am not sure the WO73 has got and a Zygo test is always a good point...just so long as they have not deactivated all the aberations. I suspect it will be green light only as I find it hard to believe that a polychromatic Strehl of >0.95 is possible from an F6 doublet.

I also like it that they have placed the scope on risers. The flatner is a obvious choice and I would go with that. But the thing that makes me thing wtice about the package is that the guide scope setup seems a little overkill to me. I would look and see if there is a simpler and potentially cheaper option avaliable prior to commiting.

The other thing to cosider is that its expensive for a doublet. You can have a WO GT-71 triplet from FLO with a reducer and a guide scope for only £100 more.

Adam

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Adam J said:

I am not sure that I would go with that package to be honest, although the scope looks like a good bet, it has colimatable lens cell which I am not sure the WO73 has got and a Zygo test is always a good point...just so long as they have not deactivated all the aberations. I suspect it will be green light only as I find it hard to believe that a polychromatic Strehl of >0.95 is possible from an F6 doublet. I also like it that they have placed the scope on risers. The flatner is a obvious choice and I would go with that. But the thing that makes me thing wtice about the package is that the guide scope setup seems a little overkill to me. I would look and see if there is a simpler and potentially cheaper option avaliable prior to commiting.

The other thing to cosider is that its expensive for a doublet. You can have a WO GT-71 triplet from FLO with a reducer and a guide scope for only £100 more.

Adam

Hi Adam , thank you and yes! the GT 71 ii is another i looked at and as you said only £100, but would need a guide scope as well as i would want to use my current one with that scope, also the flatner is 0.8x and would lower the FL to that below the 61 i think and the 61 is a hell of a lot cheaper? yes i think RVO have bloated the price a bit and £179 for the guide scope to me seems excessive. you seem a lot more savvy then i do with there testing so ill take that on board. I actually really like the starwave and what it offers but with only a magazine review ive got nothing else to go on.  Astro stace uses the altair 72edf and swears by it, so im really wandering on taking a punt or not on that one.

i think if i was to go lower on FL id grab the red cat, ideally i dont want to drop below 400mm 

Edited by Dan13

11 minutes ago, Dan13 said:

Hi Adam , thank you and yes! the GT 71 ii is another i looked at and as you said only £100, but would need a guide scope as well as i would want to use my current one with that scope, also the flatner is 0.8x and would lower the FL to that below the 61 i think and the 61 is a hell of a lot cheaper? yes i think RVO have bloated the price a bit and £179 for the guide scope to me seems excessive. you seem a lot more savvy then i do with there testing so ill take that on board. I actually really like the starwave and what it offers but with only a magazine review ive got nothing else to go on.  Astro stace uses the altair 72edf and swears by it, so im really wandering on taking a punt or not on that one.

i think if i was to go lower on FL id grab the red cat, ideally i dont want to drop below 400mm 

It would but you can use a flattner with it and the 61 is F6 and the reduced GT71 is F4.7 so much faster due to the larger aperture. £1060 with the WO guide scope and the flattner. It would be less with a no reducing flattner. But you will do well either way I would think.

Adam

12 minutes ago, Adam J said:

It would but you can use a flattner with it and the 61 is F6 and the reduced GT71 is F4.7 so much faster due to the larger aperture. £1060 with the WO guide scope and the flattner. It would be less with a no reducing flattner. But you will do well either way I would think.

Adam

I think id grab the 71 if it had a 1x flatner, i really dont want to go to 336mm FL, is the 71 that much better then the 73? and due to the 71 being a triplet is there still a huge need for the flatner?

5 hours ago, Dan13 said:

I think id grab the 71 if it had a 1x flatner, i really dont want to go to 336mm FL, is the 71 that much better then the 73? and due to the 71 being a triplet is there still a huge need for the flatner?

Yes you would need a flattner. If you think that 336mm is too short for you there is nothing wrong with that, it means that you would need to go up to something like a Esprit 80 as a step up.

Adam