Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron "Starpointer" finder

I have a Celestron  76mm  newtonian  which I  intend  giving to my grandson  ,........It was used mainly for bird and ship spotting  at the coast and  I imagine it would  continue to be used likewise.

Despite a somewhat flimsy tripod the scope works very well but I am a bit dubious about re- attaching the  small red dot finder  which I could never get the hang of.  Could I ask if anyone has   any experience of this gadget as  a useful aid.

Thanks.

Crossway  

Does the photo below show the telescope and red dot finder you have (but perhaps on a different mount)? If so I don't think there is any difference in stability between the two finders. The star pointer is just a slightly jazzed up version of the standard one. It will, perhaps be slightly easier to use as it projects circles instead of the standard red dot. 

Thank you for replying Ricochet.......my   query  was unfortunately  not  explained all that well and  I  apologise for perhaps  wasting your time.   The  Celestron  "Astromaster 76"  has a  very small red dot finder tacked on to a permanent mounting at  the  very  end of the tube just above the spider .   The initial  exercise of  aligning scope and finder  using a  terrestrial  feature  I always found to be  hit or miss and  subsequent  aiming of the scope onto  the intended target  was inaccurate.   I   think that the problem with the finder is something to do with  its small size  and the  narrow separation between the two  reticules,  one of which is roughly adjustable.

If anything the closer to the main tube the finder is, the more accurate it will be on terrestrial targets, as the parallax between the scope and finder will be reduced. On my spotting scope "sight" I have two markers. One is for infinity and one is for close range, with the target somewhere between the two depending on distance. As with my previous answer, I doubt you will see any improvement by changing the RDF. 

If it is the finder I am thinking of it is pretty rubbish. Tiny red led dot which you try to line up with a small ring. Is it similar to this link

I had one on a scope years back. I went a bought a telrad instead and problem was solved. 

Edited by bomberbaz

Yes Steve, that's the one and note that you are familiar with it from years back.......did you ever  have any success with it at all?.   My 76 AZ  is  mainly used  on short range terrestrial stuff  like sea birds and ships  but when required I use it with a  small  finder scope and right angled eyepiece. The small Celestron red spot finder was obviously  designed to work  and I'm therefore reluctant to dump it in case it is my technique which is at fault. 

7 minutes ago, Crossway said:

Yes Steve, that's the one and note that you are familiar with it from years back.......did you ever  have any success with it at all?.   My 76 AZ  is  mainly used  on short range terrestrial stuff  like sea birds and ships  but when required I use it with a  small  finder scope and right angled eyepiece. The small Celestron red spot finder was obviously  designed to work  and I'm therefore reluctant to dump it in case it is my technique which is at fault. 

No success at all. I think I removed it and replaced it with a telrad finder. Much much easier. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/telrad-finder-astronomy.html

It is still not clear which red dot finder we are talking about here (there is no picture).  The basic one supplied with various kits (even, it seems, a C8 SCT) is adequate when it works but I have found they sometimes won't come on - possibly because of  intermittent connections at battery.  If it produces a red dot you can see indoors, should be OK to use.

The Celestron 'Starpointer Pro' is bigger, twice the price and is more likely to be bought as an accessory or upgrade. Distinguished by curving arms. I bought one recently - I have not yet tried it on a telescope. It wouldn't come on (DOA) until I did some fettling with a bit of aluminium foil rather than send it back.  If yours produces two concentric red circles indoors, it should be Ok to use.

There are complaints about these things to the effect that the mountings are bad, wih the result that the aim can't be adjusted far enough to make them work, the cure being a bit of fettling, to add some packing to correct the aim.

4 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

If it is the finder I am thinking of it is pretty rubbish. Tiny red led dot which you try to line up with a small ring. Is it similar to this link

I had one on a scope years back. I went a bought a telrad instead and problem was solved. 

^^^

23 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

It is still not clear which red dot finder we are talking about here (there is no picture).  The basic one supplied with various kits (even, it seems, a C8 SCT) is adequate when it works but I have found they sometimes won't come on - possibly because of  intermittent connections at battery.  If it produces a red dot you can see indoors, should be OK to use.

The Celestron 'Starpointer Pro' is bigger, twice the price and is more likely to be bought as an accessory or upgrade. Distinguished by curving arms. I bought one recently - I have not yet tried it on a telescope. It wouldn't come on (DOA) until I did some fettling with a bit of aluminium foil rather than send it back.  If yours produces two concentric red circles indoors, it should be Ok to use.

There are complaints about these things to the effect that the mountings are bad, wih the result that the aim can't be adjusted far enough to make them work, the cure being a bit of fettling, to add some packing to correct the aim.

See my link above geoff, that is the one. And trust me, it's next to useless

Edited by bomberbaz

Cosmic Geoff,  Unfortunately I cannot  illustrate the finder with a pic but Steve's  link  3 posts up  is the one in question.  Must say the news so far is not very encouraging is it !!!

Crossway

2 hours ago, Crossway said:

Cosmic Geoff,  Unfortunately I cannot  illustrate the finder with a pic but Steve's  link  3 posts up  is the one in question.  Must say the news so far is not very encouraging is it !!!

Crossway

Ah, sorry I thought you were talking about the one supposed with new astromasters (that I forgot to insert an image for). If you've got the old style then anything else is probably better, but for day time use a red dot may not always be bright enough. 

Ricochet,  I  wasn't aware that Celestron had  introduced  a new design finder for the Astromasters....... I have been looking at the  adverts and  the finder looks  greatly improved no doubt influenced by the poor response to the previous one........the one I have .  I won't refit it to the scope but will probably hang on to it for the time being.

Crossway.