SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Matching Barlow to Eyepiece

Hello!

As you will see from my signature at the bottom, over the years I have acquired a range of Celestron X-Cel LX eyepieces - 25, 18, 12, and 7mm to go with my 150P Skywatcher.

I have also gathered three Barlows - a 2x Ultima, and two Powermates at 2.5x and 5x.

So my question is:  would I get better viewing if I replaced these with an X-Cel LX Barlow, either 2x or 3x?  Given that they were in the same manufacturer and product range, do you think they'd be better matched optically?

If the answer is yes, I guess I could sell my current Barlows on towards the cost....!

Any opinions gratefully received!

Clear skies!

Jim

Edited by JimBobs63

Hi Jim,

The Tele Vue's are better performers than the Celestron will be, whatever eyepieces they are used with.

The Powermate's in particular are superb - probably some of the best image amplifiers around.

• Like 1

The Televue Powermate is vastly superior to the traditional barlow, have a peek at this article. I have compared my 2.5 powermate to my other 2.5x traditional barlow, the traditional barlow went straight into the bits and bobs box afterward.

https://www.cloudynights.com/articles/cat/user-reviews/eyepieces/barlows/televue-25x-powermate-r462

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 2

Thanks for the replies - I had a look through both the Powermates and the Ultima barlow with my X-Cel LX eyepieces and you're right!  The Powermates are noticeably better!

I may well sell the Ultima 2x to help pay towards my next purchase (see separate post - I'm after recommendations for a wide field / low magnification 2" eyepiece).

Jim