SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

PENUMBRAL LUNAR ECLIPSE ANYONE?

paulastro

I know it's not the most exciting event, but I was pleased to see the eclipse yesterday evening.  To be able to see the horizon where the Moon would rise, I had to stand on a pair of steps in the the corner of the observatory to see over the observatory wall.

Using 10x50 binoculars I saw the first sliver of the gorgeious orange Moon rise through the murk on the horizon at 9.32pm.  It rose rapidly and largely kept clear of cloud until 10.02 pm when it was engulfed by cloud - shortly before the eclipse was due to end.

I was pleased that for most of the time I could see the shadow receeding from Moon, though it did seem easier to see in the later stages.

The Moon in the pic taken on my phone below is over-exposed, but it shows the view looking over my neighbours garage roof toward the eastern horizon. 

20200605_215122.thumb.jpg.6a4bf735acb563b90b1bffb08b556598.jpg

• Like 1

That was dedicated Paul, good on you.
Sadly I was unable to see it as at Moon Rise, the view is blocked from my place.
If it happens in the first 1 1/2 hours then I don't see it, not even from my flat roof on the East side.