best exposure times

at the moment I have a 200P-DS and with either the Canon 1300d or Nikon 7000 i tend to take 180sec or 240 sec images and stack them these times are just a guess.

now i was wondering today after reading up on the quattro F4 newts that as they are faster what would my ideal exposure time be ?

how do you calculate the best exposure time is longer better or shorter and more of them? is there a way of calculating this?

On 03/06/2020 at 22:28, CedricTheBrave said:

at the moment I have a 200P-DS and with either the Canon 1300d or Nikon 7000 i tend to take 180sec or 240 sec images and stack them these times are just a guess.

now i was wondering today after reading up on the quattro F4 newts that as they are faster what would my ideal exposure time be ?

how do you calculate the best exposure time is longer better or shorter and more of them? is there a way of calculating this?

You can also use nina (free) which has a built in optimal exposure calculator. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, jimjam11 said:

You can also use nina (free) which has a built in optimal exposure calculator. 

I will have a play with that although I am nearly all raspberry now apart from one pc

I watched the video (head exploded a little) so may also look at sharp cap

However the consensus appeared to be too short is bad to long is bad so find somewhere in the middle

It might be worth saying that astrophotography has reached its present standard because people have been prepared to experiment and go against the received wisdom. But, sure, some initial pointers are helpful. Don't let this stop you from experimenting, though. I've been told plenty of times that I shouldn't be using 30 minute subs with a CCD camera. Still use 'em, though!

Olly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

It might be worth saying that astrophotography has reached its present standard because people have been prepared to experiment and go against the received wisdom. But, sure, some initial pointers are helpful. Don't let this stop you from experimenting, though. I've been told plenty of times that I shouldn't be using 30 minute subs with a CCD camera. Still use 'em, though!

Olly

Good point well made