Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Very nice session 01/6/20 - Luna and doubles !!

Telescope40

Hello. Bit late with this report due to work today.  😉

Out last night with the 150 about 8.30.  Moon first target.  Conditions a little wobbly Bob but crack on. Binoviewers in use x177  Plato looking good and a couple of craterlets. Sinus Iridium well lit. Jura mountains looking "mountainous"'.  Laplace promontory throwing a very long shadow into the bay. The straight range very clear too. 

Jumped over to Clavius.  Just about my favourite crater. Central mountains of Porter looking good with a bit of concentration. Over to the Montes Riphaeus. Looks like the outline of an alien or maybe a bunny rabbit to me.  Read this in Sky and Telescope - see it every time now. Followed up by just gliding around the orb catching shadows. 

( All this guided by recent book purchase - Discover the moon by Lacroux and Legrand. ). 

Getting a little darker now and the mount is connected to SS on my I pad.  Try some doubles. 

Porrima and Algeba plus 54 Leonis. 

SS indicating on its list quite a few options in Hercules.  Got this lot. 

Raslgethi - Marsic - Sarid - Rho - 95 and 100 Herc.  All new to me.  

Moved on to a few usuals.  Cor Caroli - still like this. The double double in Lyra. 

Finally a few Messiers.  M57 - pretty good given conditions.  M92 and M13.  A little averted view helping both.  M53 - struggled somewhat.  It was there but not giving much.  

Packed up about 11.45.

See this now as maybe a last chance for a little while given the time of year.  

Roll on "planet season".  Looking forward to what this scope can show me when Jupe, Saturn and Mars in view. 

Thanks.  John 

Edited by Telescope40
  • Like 6