Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DIY Scope Rotation Rings

Nigeyboy

Hi all

I own a SW 150-PL on the standard EQ3 mount. As reflector uses know, sometimes the eyepeice can end up in some pretty awkward positions! You then have to loosen the scope rings and turn the scope around, often losing the balance of the OTA as a result. Rotator rings can be expensive and heavy, so I went online and looked for some alternatives.

I came across someone who had used wooden embroidery rings. I thought what while the idea was good, they may not be sturdy enough. I sat down and came up with the following shopping list:

2 x 170mm diameter jubilee rings - £2.75 each from Ebay

1 x 10mm x 2m plastic cable ducting - £4.99 from B&Q (prior to lockdown i might add!_

Random nuts and bolts from the 'magic drawer' in the kitchen - free

The existing scope ring bolts stuck out a little, meaning the would rub against the new rings i was attaching. So I removed the rings, and carefully drilled out a larger diameter hole for about 6mm into the rings themselves. This allowed me to use some bolts that would be flush with the ring surface.

I measured the external diameter of the OTA, and cut two pieces of the cable ducting to length. I then placed the jubilee clips round the scope, flush with the scope rings, and wedged the cable ducting underneath the clips, I then slowly tightened the clips until they were firmly secured, but not over tight! 

Attaching the OTA to the mount for a test, and low and behold it worked a treat! I can loosen the scope rings and rotate the whole OTA around smoothly without affecting the balance! Am really pleased - like someone who worked on their car and didn't break it!!  Here are some pics:

IMG_1720.thumb.JPG.acbadf0198714544738c6796eeba922e.JPG

IMG_1721.thumb.JPG.f1c34fe087b7b6553628239520a295b0.JPG

IMG_1722.thumb.JPG.6240d6302b5eb8fd4ce186dd31c1a398.JPG

• Like 4

I did the same in 2011, only used jubilee banding strap as 200mm jubilee clips were hard to find back then.  As I now image rather than use the scope for visual observing I've since removed the rings

IMG_0288.JPG

• Like 3