Sky-Watcher Dobsonian Mount Disappointment.

I've had my Sky-Watcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian since just before the lock down started.

I adjusted the tension on the Azimuth to be what I thought was okay, not too tight and no 'slop' between the base layers. 

This evening, I stripped the base plates apart so that I could replace the PTFE washer with the 'milk carton' mod, 6 of them in fact. 

I was surprised to see how much wear there was on the 3 PTFE pad between the base plates (see photos below). Have I had the bolt too tight? It never really felt that smooth. 

Anyway, I've now got the roughly 3" diameter plastic milk carton washers in, all 6 of them. I've got more spare. I've tightened it up to about the same tension as previously. 

Doing a bit of experimentation with a set of digital spring balances, before it required around 2.9lbs to slew the telescope round, but after the mod it only requires 2.2lbs. Not exactly scientific... 

20200530_191603.jpg

20200530_191615.jpg

20200530_191627.jpg

20200530_191646.jpg

20200530_191720.jpg

Getting these things to work right for you is all about experimentation :smiley:

It's difficult to judge if you have got it "right" until you actually use the thing under the stars.

Pay £1000 for an Orion Optics dob and you will still need to tweak and adjust things.