Comet C/2017 T2 (PANSTARRS) on Tuesday night.

Currently magnitude 9.0 in the constellation of Ursa Major (the Great Bear).

The comet reached perihelion on May 4th. It is now just over 154 million miles from Earth and on its way out of the solar system.

Composites of 3 images, the comet, stars and star trails. The trails show the movement of the comet over 70 minutes.

70 x 60s, with darks, flats and dark flats. Total exposure time 1h 10m.

11" SCT at 1700mm, ASI294MC Pro camera cooled to -12C  gain 250, Optolong L-Pro filter.

panstarrs.jpg

panstarrs2.jpg

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, russ said:

Fantastic, great images. Did you try visually to see the comet or just image?  Just wondering whether to bother myself tonight.

These are great images :icon_biggrin:

I could not find Panstarrs visually, or at least not with any certainty, the night before last with my 100mm frac. I did get it a few days earlier with the 120 but I think it was a touch brighter then.

Little proper darkness, even overhead just now, which does not help !

M81 and 82 were clear enough but I think the comet is a more diffuse target.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, John said:

These are great images :icon_biggrin:

I could not find Panstarrs visually, or at least not with any certainty, the night before last with my 100mm frac. I did get it a few days earlier with the 120 but I think it was a touch brighter then.

Little proper darkness, even overhead just now, which does not help !

M81 and 82 were clear enough but I think the comet is a more diffuse target.

Oh dear that does not sound promising John. My chances from a light polluted town centre, with a moon and a fading comet are pretty much zero then....lol

3 hours ago, russ said:

Fantastic, great images. Did you try visually to see the comet or just image?  Just wondering whether to bother myself tonight.

Thanks Russ. No, I'm only set up for imaging, no room in the "shed" for visual work. The only problem now is the Moon.