NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepiece advice for Celestron advanced VX8 SCT.

Hi everyone, looking advice / suggestions please. Looking to purchase 1 eye piece that would suit the above set up. Can read so many reviews but would rather ask people’s advice and experience. So - what do I want, deep space specific, will be used for photography so must have the functionality for camera attachments. I don’t buy cheap 😂 you get what you pay for so open to suggestions. Thanks in advance. 

Hi @Spanish Tony and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Two syllables... green lettering and numbers on side of eyepiece barrel...

PIC044.JPG.54acb21c9b4e6e69cda54fdd37a1defe.JPG 

...my 'one-to-many 13mm eyepieces'.

Seriously, I don't thing you can get much wrong with the Baader Planetarium mk lV 8-24mm zoom. It can be used with 1.25" or 2" e/p holders; plus they do a matching 2.25x Barlow lens and other accessories to compliment.

Sorry! Not much help am I.

Since you're talking about a 2000mm telescope, you would probably want the longest practical focal length possible to limit magnification to something a bit more manageable.  As such, I would probably recommend a 30mm APM Ultra Flat field since it has an M43 thread under the eye cup that can be used to attach a camera to for afocal digiscoping.  It would yield 2000/30=67x and project a 70+ degree image into the lens.  Obviously, the taking lens must then be a wide angle lens.

I have no idea if it would work for eyepiece projection because few visual-only eyepieces project a flat enough field for photography.  Afocal projection avoids this because the taking lens of the camera does the flattening for the system.

May I ask why you would want to put an eyepiece into the system instead of just using prime focus photography?  If you add a focal reducer/corrector, the focal length will drop to about 1260mm, which is much more manageable.  Are you planning on doing high frame rate planetary photography at high powers?

Thank you both for your comments - and this is the reason I wanted ask before making any purchase. As a experienced photographer in most aspects, astro is new for me and I want people to question my thoughts and ideas and correct me if need be :) We all learn something new each day :) Thanks again. Have read a lot a of great reviews regarding the Baader range also the APM. Lots to consider thank you again.

11 hours ago, Spanish Tony said:

will be used for photograph

Normally (unless you are doing eyepiece projection) you attach the DSLR camera directly to the telescope (with no eyepiece) so that the telescope is simply a giant camera lens. This is the normal technique for astrophotography and is called "prime focus".